Andre Gomes

This is the new NSNO Everton forum to discuss the Mighty Blues
AjaxAndy

Re: Andre Gomes

Last time Gomes came on as a sub and looked good he started the next match, and it looked like he'd put his boots on the wrong feet.

I think coming on with 20 mins left and the game stretched allows him more time and space to pass the ball about, but he's totally ineffective when he starts.

I'd probably throw him in anyway from the start tbh against Burnley just because he might have a bit of success with the way Burnley play.
Silas

Kerryblueboy wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:42 pm Some of our fans are nuts my mate hates Onana says he doesn’t run or tackle enough is a pure dogs of war type of supporter longs for the days of gravesen and carsley
As if Gravesen and Carsley wouldn't be excellent compared to what we've got now.
Kerryblueboy

Silas wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:50 pm As if Gravesen and Carsley wouldn't be excellent compared to what we've got now.
Not the point though it’s the not seeing the potential in Onana just wanting someone to kick players and throw themselves about Onana is our best player by a mile and will be off in the summer and we will miss him next season when it’s garner and brownhill in midfield
777Kidnappings

Kerryblueboy wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:21 am Not the point though it’s the not seeing the potential in Onana just wanting someone to kick players and throw themselves about Onana is our best player by a mile and will be off in the summer and we will miss him next season when it’s garner and brownhill in midfield
He's not our best player by a mile on match days. Doubt he's even in our top 5. Think pickford, mykolenko, Branthwaite, tarkowski, doucoure gueye and maybe even mcneil have all been at least comparable on performances.
Bluedylan1

Onana's not going to be as good as he can be for us, because he's mostly watching the ball sail over his head from Pickford and Tarkowski.

You seem him play for Belgium and he's collecting the ball off the CB's, starting the play and showing the range of his abilities much more.
Kerryblueboy

Onana is an elite level player who will go on to play for a top team as will branthwaite my point is more that some of our fan base rather limited footballers who run around a lot and kick people rather than ball players
777Kidnappings

Bluedylan1 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:39 am Onana's not going to be as good as he can be for us, because he's mostly watching the ball sail over his head from Pickford and Tarkowski.

You seem him play for Belgium and he's collecting the ball off the CB's, starting the play and showing the range of his abilities much more.
I get that but most weeks he doesn't stand out at all. Maybe it's an Everton problem but this version of him is 1 of our most easily replaced players
brap2

Doesn't really feel like gomes fits that though I would say
Bluedylan1

777Kidnappings wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:43 am I get that but most weeks he doesn't stand out at all. Maybe it's an Everton problem but this version of him is 1 of our most easily replaced players
Yeah, I just fundamentally disagree. I think he's levels above anything else we've got in his position, and we totally waste him by playing retrograde football that belongs in a different era.
TheRam

Meh, he’s a good player but has a long way to go before he’s elite.

We’ve had these conversation in the past with Lukaku and Richarlison.

As good as these players are, there’s always a reason they’re at Everton.

Onana will go to a big club obviously but I see him having bouncing from club to club and having quite a forgetful, soulless career path.

I can’t wait to sell him. I can’t say I’ve enjoyed watching him for us all that much whilst I can still appreciate his quality.
bigmanbob

He frustrates the hell out of me. You can see there's a player there and he shows glimpses of it but he disappoints more often than not and I only think a minor part of that is us the football we play
UnsyisaRhino

Bluedylan1 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:53 am Yeah, I just fundamentally disagree. I think he's levels above anything else we've got in his position, and we totally waste him by playing retrograde football that belongs in a different era.
He's definitely got a higher ceiling than the rest of our midfield, and he shows flashes of that for us and more of it for Belgium, but we don't just need those flashes. We need someone who can be relied upon to do the less fashionable bits too because that's how we've been setup, and he can't just play the way he wants to play, he needs to do what the team/setup needs from him.

If we can be critical of doucs and gueye for being shit on the ball, we can be critical of Onana for being below par off it.
superpull

I'm still a bit amused at having the choice of all the woeful midfield pairings we've had over the last 30 years and plumping for Graveson and Carsley as the ones to dig out.

Both would stroll into this team after having had a few pints.
777Kidnappings

Think ram said it best a few post back. That he hasn't enjoyed watching him. Maybe he goes on to have a wonderful career. It certainly seems like very good teams are interested but barring a couple of games I really haven't enjoyed watching him play.
Kerryblueboy

When he plays on a team that actually plays football not hoofball he will thrive like he did for Belgium last week
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic