Andre Gomes

This is the new NSNO Everton forum to discuss the Mighty Blues
The Doc

Re: Andre Gomes

His technique is great but I've always thought his awareness was just below top-flight level for a midfielder, and his other attributes aren't good enough to make up for that.
Toddacelli

AjaxAndy wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:45 pm Yeah that's definitely what I meant but didn't articulate well... Can switched play well, but if you're asking for someone to slip a striker through he seems to waste those passes.

He's technically a very good player who should be able to slip the striker in, but just can't for whatever reason.

Vision I reckon.

Easy to see the fullback on the other touchline jumping up and down and waving his arms about for floaty forty yard switch.

Not as easy to see from the way people are moving what the picture will look like a couple of seconds into the future.
AjaxAndy

Toddacelli wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:57 pm Vision I reckon.

Easy to see the fullback on the other touchline jumping up and down and waving his arms about for floaty forty yard switch.

Not as easy to see from the way people are moving what the picture will look like a couple of seconds into the future.
Yeah that's a great point, especially as when he's in a position to play a slide rule pass to put the striker in he's doesn't have much time to think about what he's doing, whereas when switching it he's got loads of time to get his head up and calculate what he needs to do.
brap2

Seeing calls for him to start, and I understand it because he can kick a football and most of them look at it like a cat seeing the neighbours new dog for the first time.

But we've been here before, he hasn't got the legs for this game, he isn't even actually that good on the ball.

But if he does have to play, play Gana and Onana behind him.
Cozzie

brap2 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:48 pm Seeing calls for him to start, and I understand it because he can kick a football and most of them look at it like a cat seeing the neighbours new dog for the first time.

But we've been here before, he hasn't got the legs for this game, he isn't even actually that good on the ball.

But if he does have to play, play Gana and Onana behind him.
He's shite, but at least a tad more effective when he's further up.

You're right, just get the midfield balance correct alongside him.

But as if Dyche is ever gonna start him anyway.
TheRam

He’d always done well coming on from the bench.

When he starts it’s a lottery with him. He’s either brilliant, or complete rubbish and it’s usually complete rubbish.
Shogun

Bring him on for freekicks
Cereal Killer

Dyche will start him in a two with Gueye

Which we all know doesn’t work

Except for the fucking manager of Everton
CannockPricey

I don't want him to start and don't think he will but if he does, as said above, in front of two more defensive midfielders. That much further forward, if he does play one of the great balls he occasionally can, it's more likely to lead to a good chance for us and when he inevitably dwells on it and gives it away, it is less likely to lead to a good chance for the opposition.

This is the problem with him though. He is the epitome of a highlights reel player. Well edited, he could look like an absolute superstar.
brap2

Can't really think of any highlights tbh. Scored about 3 goals over the last 5 years. Doesn't get assists. Occasionally drops his shoulder nicely and sprays a pass to the LB.
Cantoffee

Fine with him off the bench, one more match during Ramadan which is tough on Doucoure, Onana, and Gueye.

Better to start them and then bring Gomes on later.

Overall I'm looking forward to him being gone. £100k/week which can be replaced by £25k/week with no real drop off.
brap2

Just listening to the blue room instant reaction.

Gomes used the ball better than Onana, got us going forward, more creativity etc.

Key passes - 0
Passes into the box - 0
Progressive passes - 2 (fair)
Progressive pass distance - 25 yards, lowest of anyone other than beto, chermiti, Coleman
Final third - 2 (ok)

Perception to reality with this guy is always so so stark. Why do people tend to think his good bits are way better than they actually are?
Kerryblueboy

Some of our fans are nuts my mate hates Onana says he doesn’t run or tackle enough is a pure dogs of war type of supporter longs for the days of gravesen and carsley
Shogun

brap2 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:33 pm Just listening to the blue room instant reaction.

Gomes used the ball better than Onana, got us going forward, more creativity etc.

Key passes - 0
Passes into the box - 0
Progressive passes - 2 (fair)
Progressive pass distance - 25 yards, lowest of anyone other than beto, chermiti, Coleman
Final third - 2 (ok)

Perception to reality with this guy is always so so stark. Why do people tend to think his good bits are way better than they actually are?
Gomes was good when he came on. You might hate him and not rate him but it doesn't mean he can't make a good appearance. He's also been alright in that Doucs role this season in the limited time he's had there.

Big difference for me was that Mykolenko was willing to cross the halfway line after the subs. Whether that was down to personnel or further instructions I don't know but allowed us to actually play properly in their half for the first time.
brap2

Shogun wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:47 pm Gomes was good when he came on. You might hate him and not rate him but it doesn't mean he can't make a good appearance. He's also been alright in that Doucs role this season in the limited time he's had there.

Big difference for me was that Mykolenko was willing to cross the halfway line after the subs. Whether that was down to personnel or further instructions I don't know but allowed us to actually play properly in their half for the first time.
Thought he did OK, but also basically nothing? Miles better than Doucs who was anonymous but I know who I'd want playing
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic