Today's Football 2023-24

Chat about football that isn't Everton in here
Stumpy

Re: Today's Football 2023-24

Goaljira wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 8:21 pm The £50m was more important to us than he offered as a player at that time.

He is looking a lot better than I thought he'd become though. I thought his attitude would lead him to become another busted flush
Couldn't have put iut better myself
Shogun

I know they're never going to lose to Sheffield United but it would be funny if Spurs ended up 7th
weimaranerblues

Shogun wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 8:58 pm I know they're never going to lose to Sheffield United but it would be funny if Spurs ended up 7th
Yep said last week lucky they had Burnley and Sheff Utd to play. Cant finish 7th though unfortunately needed Newcastle to win .

Would have been even more hilarious if 5th got CL and Chelsea nicked it. Not to be .
Last edited by weimaranerblues on Wed May 15, 2024 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AjaxAndy

Ange is another manager who only has one way of playing and it'll cost him long term. There's managers at less than half a dozen clubs that can have an extremely rigid philosophy and afford the players required to make it work successfully... and he's not at one of those clubs.
Cods

To suggest that someone with his experience doesn’t understand what football rivalry is absurd. Before we even consider Glasgow, we’re talking about someone who captained and managed a successful club in the final days of the toxic NSL, where teams were founded upon strong ethnic lines by migrants fleeing war-torn and depression-era Europe; teams of ethnic Croatians, Serbians, Greeks, Italians, Hungarians, Polish, Maltese, etc who rarely saw eye to eye. Ange played and managed when the Balkans were on fire in the 90s. Lets just say it made for spicy contests that landed on the front pages as much as the back pages. Rivalries, lol.

Fast forward to 2023: “The league is too big for him,... he's too old,... never managed at elite level,... sacked by Christmas”

He's walked it so far. 

Progressive football, good to excellent first batch of signings, completely remodelled the style of play, won the first 3 manager of the month awards, has a group of players that despite their limitations as a squad are hungry, whilst losing the best striker the league has seen in years. All in less than 12 months.

Now for sure he’s got to bring the rest of their club on a journey with him, as well as losing that Spursy cultural tag. It’ll take time, but he’s got as much chance as anybody and has arguably more desire than his predecessors. The fact that we're even talking about him proves that he's doing a decent job, again, predicted by few. 

Their recent losses are largely due to the fact they’ve played 5 of the top 7 clubs in their last 6 games. He’s just voiced an uncomfortable truth at an uncomfortable time, and Spurs need a little truth bomb to allow for future growth.
Last edited by Cods on Thu May 16, 2024 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cereal Killer

Triggered every time :lol:
Audrey Horne

Interesting that those who are strongly denying the faux pas this week, are from ........
Shogun

Man City v West Ham - Sky Main Event
Arsenal v Everton - TNT Sports
Liverpool v Wolves - Sky Premier League
Chelsea v Bournemouth - Sky Football

I wonder if TNT had second choice or Sky have picked the wankathon over a title contending match?

Newcastle and Man United both playing competitive matches, but not chosen ahead of a dead rubber.
Cods

Audrey Horne wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 10:08 am Interesting that those who are strongly denying the faux pas this week, are from ........
... a place where they've been most exposed to his talents, and know most about him?

... people that can see the long game?

If there were an English manager that finished as high as he's going to finish you might have a point.

We're on an Everton forum discussing a direct rival's manager, I'm not expecting there to be any objectivity, but the regular derogatory comments are monotonous and boring.

I don't think it was a faux pas at all. I'd argue there are many trying to snipe any tiny thing in an effort to discredit what is overall a very solid first campaign.

Just providing some insight. :thumbs:
TheRam

Cods wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 11:58 am ... a place where they've been most exposed to his talents, and know most about him?

If there were an English manager that finished as high as he's going to finish you might have a point.

We're on an Everton forum discussing a direct rival's manager, I'm not expecting there to be any objectivity, but the regular derogatory comments are monotonous and boring.

I don't think it was a faux pas at all. I'd argue there are many trying to snipe any tiny thing in an effort to discredit what is overall a very solid first campaign.

It’s just opinions man.

No need to take it to heart.

I think he’s getting some very deserved criticism for some of the things he’s said and the way he’s acted recently.
TheRam

Also, we are very petty and childish on here.

If we know something provokes a reaction we will prod because we are bad people at heart.
Shogun

Should be independent medics that assess these things, it's a joke he continued playing.

Gash

I wouldn't have said Postecoglou's "walked it", results since the turn of the year have been pretty poor, their fast start to the season has carried them through the rest of it. They've won 7 games in the league in 2024, Palace, Brentford, Brighton, Burnley, Luton, Villa and Forest, all at home bar Villa. They've taken some big hits as well and plenty people predicted he would due to being so inflexible. I admire managers that have a certain style but sometimes they need to adapt and change things depending on who you are playing or how a game has going and he's proven he won't, it's cost them heavily in the league just like it cost Celtic heavily in Europe.
Audrey Horne

Cods wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 11:58 am ... a place where they've been most exposed to his talents, and know most about him?

It's not insight though? It's pure regional bias?

I'm not arsed if he has played for teams with big rivalries or not. He has missed the point from his.clubs fans and make himself look a bit of a fool.

Also where are the constant derogatory comments?! Writing that they don't think he is a good manager or has let it go a bit ? Bit weird to say that Cods.

No one is really that arsed about Spurs or the manager to dis credit him or whatever.....it's literally just commenting on stuff happening.
777Kidnappings

Shogun wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 8:58 pm I know they're never going to lose to Sheffield United but it would be funny if Spurs ended up 7th
Apparently spurs have won less points than us since November. Think they are in trouble next season
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic