Amadou Onana

This is the new NSNO Everton forum to discuss the Mighty Blues
The Doc

Re: Amadou Onana

AndSeel wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 1:21 pm I was saying where it originates from. To demonstrate why it can be considered racism. Come on mate its not hard.

Sent from my SM-G977B using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app
Yeah, apologies, I was being facetious.

But I do shudder when people bring up racism unwarranted. Not you, you're responding to the comments.

Like Bluedylan said, his languid playing style attracts that attention, but it's doesn't mean he's lazy. Playing within himself a bit, and i think that he has so much power and pace, that when he doesn't use it often, it can appear that he hasn't tried that much during the game when he probably has.
Escla

What would you call a player that acts as you describe below ?

“i think that he has so much power and pace, that when he doesn't use it often, it can appear that he hasn't tried that much during the game”

Doesn’t use it often !
Bluedylan1

He's a deep lying playmaker for Belgium. He takes the ball off the keeper and the CBs and starts the play off with short and long passes into midfield, and then defensively he sits in front of the back four using his big frame and his long legs to intercept and make tackles. He rarely needs to run anywhere.

We misuse him as a player. He's not about power and pace (which you might argue are stereotypical values attributed to him). His game is fundamentally silky and technical, but some people can't seem to see past what they think he should be because of his physicality.

This is how a better team uses Onana -

He barely moves anywhere. He just dictates play from deeper positions.

Admittedly there's way more pressure on the ball playing in the Prem, but you could see him doing this kind of role for Man U/Arsenal/Barcelona etc, rather than being misused as some box to box merchant who wins headers at corners, the way we use him.
Escla

How many teams in the Premier would give him the same freedom/time as Azerbaijan though ?
Bluedylan1

Escla wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 7:00 pm How many teams in the Premier would give him the same freedom/time as Azerbaijan though ?
Fairly sure I addressed that point.
Escla

Bluedylan1 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 7:06 pm Fairly sure I addressed that point.
You sort of did but the gulf is massive.
UnsyisaRhino

If I were to try to simplify the problem as much as possible, I would describe him as lacking intensity, and add that he sometimes drifts through games in both a defensive and offensive capacity.

As others have said, his languid style combined with these things sometimes gives the impression he doesn't do as much as some of our 'busier' players. Even if their output is similar.

Lazy is probably the harshest way to look at it, but there are times where it's frustrating to see things bypass him, and I think playing alongside someone as industrious as Gueye doesn't help, as it just highlights the moments he isn't matching that same intensity.
Bluedylan1

Escla wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 7:09 pm You sort of did but the gulf is massive.
The point still stands. We try to use him like Michael Essien, but In a better footballing team Onana will be more like Jorginho.

But because he doesn't look like Jorginho, and we're all quite superficial, we find that hard to imagine.
Escla

Spose so !
Cereal Killer

He wants to take the ball off the CB and build play?!

Burn him! The heathen!

Kick it big for fuck sake
brap2

So just to reiterate, more defensive actions per 90 than 60% of midfielders in Europe.

Your *perception* of him is that he doesn't do this that or the other. Doesn't mean it's always the case.

Reasons for those perceptions, well, yeah maybe it's his languid style.
TheRam

No matter how we play, a player off his ability should be standing out in this team and be regarded as our best player.

He’s disappointed me in all honesty. Has nothing to do with my perception, or his race, it’s just my opinion.

Doesn’t mean I think he’s a poor player, or that he won’t go onto have a very good career. Just think he could have showed more during his time here and has lacked a willingness to really dig in when needed which is why he was dropped after the Chelsea game.

Good luck to him. I’m sure in a team more suited to his style he’ll be a very good player, but he’d be expected to make improvements in certain aspects of his game to succeed at that level.

The managers at the highest level are very demanding. That won’t accept being anonymous in the middle of the park for large periods of a game.
Silas

How many great games has he had for us? I can't remember many? For whatever reason he's not been anything amazing for us despite having the tools.
brap2

Wild to me because he stands out like a sore thumb imo.
The Doc

I mean yeah when he has a good game he looks levels above anyone else in the team, he just hasn't had many of those games this season.

It's not worrying because he's still young and inconsistency is expected and I think if we hang on to him this summer then next season he'll take it up a gear.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic