Amadou Onana

This is the new NSNO Everton forum to discuss the Mighty Blues
TheRam

Re: Amadou Onana

Onana is being linked to £60m moves away though.

This is his fourth season in top level football, he’s played in international tournaments and is 23 in a few months.

I think it’s a bit of a stretch to say he’s a young player coming through.
MIG

Yeah I don’t get it.
I’m all for calling out racism and having open conversations about it but for all the lazy shouts for Saha, Yakubu, Lukaku etc are the same people not raving about the shifts put in by Gana and Doucoure for example?
Escla

Just don’t get the connection between calling a player lazy and racism ? Keane, Maupay, Gomes have all been called out with various insults, was that also racist ?
Escla

Just don’t get the connection between calling a player lazy and racism ? Keane, Maupay, Gomes have all been called out with various insults, was that also racist ? Distinctly recall Schneiderlin being accused of being lazy constantly.
brap2

Let's just leave it
Escla

brap2 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:32 am Let's just leave it
Wasn’t addressed to you , was part of a wider conversation with others but happy if you let go of that bone now.
StirlingBlue

Escla wrote:Just don’t get the connection between calling a player lazy and racism ? Keane, Maupay, Gomes have all been called out with various insults, was that also racist ? Distinctly recall Schneiderlin being accused of being lazy constantly.
It’s not specific to anybody as an individual on here but it’s an acknowledged issue across sports beyond football - black athletes are judged more based upon physical prowess than white athletes who are praised for mental attributes or technique.

Case in point would be comparing somebody like Onana to somebody like Rodri - arguably they’re quite similar players (obviously Rodri is much better but same standard).

Onana is judged both positively and negatively for his physicality (beast/strong etc vs lazy) whereas Rodri is judged on his game intelligence or technique.

Rodri is a unit, very strong and tough in the tackle yet that’s not what gets talked about - it’s an inherent bias.
TheRam

Escla wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:35 am Wasn’t addressed to you , was part of a wider conversation with others but happy if you let go of that bone now.
Don’t back down to the woke mob mate.
brap2

Escla wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:35 am Wasn’t addressed to you , was part of a wider conversation with others but happy if you let go of that bone now.
You believe this is some kind of bone that I am harbouring do you
AndSeel

Basically laziness is a stereotype of African Americans so calling a black player lazy can be seen as a racist comment. Im not accusing people of racism. Im just saying that it can be seen as such.

More black players are labelled with the laziness tag than other races in my opinion. Thats all.

Sent from my SM-G977B using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

Mouse

TheRam wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 8:38 am Onana is being linked to £60m moves away though.

This is his fourth season in top level football, he’s played in international tournaments and is 23 in a few months.

I think it’s a bit of a stretch to say he’s a young player coming through.
The £60m would be for the potental of what he can be at 26 and beyond, just as we paid a lot for him after one season at top level football (is Ligue 1 top level? England, Germany, Spain, Italy...France?). Not for what he is today.

In his career so far he had a season at Lille and now two at our particular box of frogs. The season before Lille was at Hamburg in the 2. Bundesliga, I don't think we can call that top level football.

Age is a very subjective thing, in the real world he is a young man of 22 but I get that football is a little different as you have to factor in physical maturity, mental strength, football brain, etc and some, like Rooney, have all that very early. Personally, I would see him as a player with bags of potential still on a learning curve. Sometimes he's brilliant, sometimes he lets himself and the team down. Part of growing up. He'll absolutely prosper in a different club with better players around him giving him more time.

But that penalty...
Escla

brap2 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:55 am You believe this is some kind of bone that I am harbouring do you
You’ve been like a dog with a fucking bone on this thread, like you said, just leave it now, there is nothing to be achieved by
continuing this exchange.
sam of the south

TheRam wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 7:43 pm Nowhere. He’s 22

“Amadou, you're 22 years old and you're spending your Saturday afternoons playing football for Everton, you're wasting your life”
The Doc

We haven't had any African American players.

Edit: Tim Howard of course, shame on me.
AndSeel

The Doc wrote:We haven't had any African American players.

Edit: Tim Howard of course, shame on me.
I was saying where it originates from. To demonstrate why it can be considered racism. Come on mate its not hard.

Sent from my SM-G977B using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic