Bayer Leverkusen - Where would they rank?

Chat about football that isn't Everton in here
Shogun

Bayer Leverkusen - Where would they rank?

Pretty insane what they're doing this season. They're not only unbeaten in the league but they're also unbeaten in Europe and in the cup where they have a final coming against second division Kaiserslautern.

If they manage to go the whole season unbeaten and win the Bundesliga, Europa League and DFB Pokal then where would that rank in terms of the history of football? Just a footnote or near the very top?
biziclop

Re: Bayer Leverkusen - Where would they rank?

Shogun wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 10:47 pm Pretty insane what they're doing this season. They're not only unbeaten in the league but they're also unbeaten in Europe and in the cup where they have a final coming against second division Kaiserslautern.

If they manage to go the whole season unbeaten and win the Bundesliga, Europa League and DFB Pokal then where would that rank in terms of the history of football? Just a footnote or near the very top?
Depends on whether you ask English football writers or not. :)

I'd say an unbeaten season and a treble in a league that has a team so dominant as Bayern should rank as one of the top achievements in the history of football.
Goaljira

Definitely one of the great seasons of all time.
AllyBlue14

Amazing achievement.

However, purely playing Devil's Advocate, they haven't really played anyone of note in the DFB Pokal and now have a final against Kaiserslautern.

Their European competition was the second tier - I think they played Qarabag 4 times and then West Ham in the quarter-finals. Even Roma are only 6th in Serie A.

And the argument that Bayern have been dominant in previous seasons doesn't really hold water when this season they've lost to leading lights such as Heidenheim, Werder Bremen and Saarbrucken in the Cup.

Obviously, Leverkusen have been brilliant and I hope they do it. To have been so consistent for so long is amazing. But, for me, for it to qualify as one of the best seasons of all time, it would've needed a strong Bayern and/or Dortmund, and for it to have been the Champions League, not Europa.
StirlingBlue

AllyBlue14 wrote:Amazing achievement.

However, purely playing Devil's Advocate, they haven't really played anyone of note in the DFB Pokal and now have a final against Kaiserslautern.

Their European competition was the second tier - I think they played Qarabag 4 times and then West Ham in the quarter-finals. Even Roma are only 6th in Serie A.

And the argument that Bayern have been dominant in previous seasons doesn't really hold water when this season they've lost to leading lights such as Heidenheim, Werder Bremen and Saarbrucken in the Cup.

Obviously, Leverkusen have been brilliant and I hope they do it. To have been so consistent for so long is amazing. But, for me, for it to qualify as one of the best seasons of all time, it would've needed a strong Bayern and/or Dortmund, and for it to have been the Champions League, not Europa.
I get what you mean but when history looks back on it, people will be looking at a season where Dortmund reached the CL final (at least) and Bayern where knocked out of the CL semi’s in injury time
AllyBlue14

Oh yeah, I agree.

But I think back to Liverpool's 'treble' and there are asterisks all over it. 3 trophies are 3 trophies and you can only beat/not lose against what's put in front of you.

It'd be an incredible achievement not just to win 3 trophies but to go unbeaten all season.

But, in my eyes at least, for it to be considered one of the very best seasons in history - regardless of how poor Bayern and Dortmund have been in the league, or the quality of Cup opposition, because none of that is Leverkusen's fault - the Europa League would need to be the Champions League.
Goaljira

The Shogun jinx striking again?
Shogun

Classic Shogs.

Still waiting for Rachel McAdams to sit on my face though.
Shogun

2-2. Never in doubt. Bayer Neverlusen.
Goaljira

That was ridiculous. Love it!
CannockPricey

Pure coincidence that Roma were two up with ten mins left and then brought their two English stars on?
bigmanbob

They've won a domestic double far so in answer to the original question, not very highly
blueforyou

Won 5-0 yesterday, 3 games to go: 1 in the league and 2 cup finals
blueforyou

Won final league game 2-1 today
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic