Today's Football 2023-24

Chat about football that isn't Everton in here
Jamokachi

Re: Today's Football 2023-24

Shogun wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 4:18 pm Best manager in the world bending over and flying the white flag at Anfield. Don't remember them doing that under Conte who was apparently appalling for them.
Why does he rattle you so much?! :lol:
TheRam

I think it’s the hype around him more so than anything else.

Didn’t he say he doesn’t really care about set pieces the other day?

Good for him he has his way of playing but he’s not adaptable enough to be a success here. He’s looked very out of his depth recently.
Cods

Find it funny that initial expectation was that he'd be so far out of his depth, bottom half and sacked by Xmas, etc etc. It seems he's now suffering from early success, and now many are following the ridiculous media-driven hyperbole of league titles and champions league qualification and using it as a stick to beat him with, rather than actually listening to what he'd been saying all along.

His responses to the set pieces and Europe questions have been the same answer, every media conference, over and over to the same inane questioners and same inane questions that he's answered over and over again. Viewers surely aren't interested, interviewers are looking to justify their job and on the evidence mostly failing. Fully understand where he, and other managers in general have to answer stupid cat and mouse questions for a public that apparently want to hear a gotcha moment.

He loves being doubted and loves being expected to fail. And he usually produces something more than words.
Cods

TheRam wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 11:17 pm I think it’s the hype around him more so than anything else.

Didn’t he say he doesn’t really care about set pieces the other day?
Yes he did, facetiously. That isnt often picked up by the media who are tone deaf or deliberately so. Dyche, as others, have had to preface jokes and sarcasm.

Definitely the hype.
Cods

Goaljira wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:12 am We're not spending £30-40m on Branthwaite's replacement.
The rags (I know) are suggesting McGuire could offset £20m-odd of 70m for any United part swap bid, so it might not be that far out of the question. Not many have spent big outright lately, but Bayern have, and they're looking at similarly priced Araujo which isn't looking likely.

They've a title to win back and a new manager might like what they see in Jarrad, even if they're likely to assess their own first.

I know we've got a squad to replenish too but Dyche likes a good CB.
Cereal Killer

Triggered every time :lol:
TheRam

Cods wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 12:16 am Yes he did, facetiously. That isnt often picked up by the media who are tone deaf or deliberately so. Dyche, as others, have had to preface jokes and sarcasm.

Definitely the hype.
https://www.skysports.com/football/vide ... hese-words

Nothing facetious about it. He’s being serious.

He won’t last long if that’s his attitude towards one of the most important parts of the game.
Bluedylan1

I think he's got to be given some time. It's his first season, and he's taken them from 8th to 5th which they would've taken at the start of the season.

Klopp and Pep didn't have stellar first seasons and were both accused of being inflexible in different ways. Not that he's on their level, but still the point stands that you need to be given some time and probably more transfer windows to ship jokers like Emerson Royale and Ben Davies out of the club. They also need to seriously freshen their forward line up. Son is a fading power now, Kulusevski has some quality but no speed and no tricks to get away from a man out wide, Werner's speed and nothing else and Richy has his qualities but is very limited technically. It's just not a great set of options.

Having said all of that, it's fair to criticise Ange for being inflexible and a bit naive at times, and I know some Spurs fans who still very much support him but raise the same questions about him. He'll have to adapt and improve to work out long term in the job. I'm quite sure he realises that, whatever he says in the media.
Last edited by Bluedylan1 on Mon May 06, 2024 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cods

TheRam wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 8:15 am https://www.skysports.com/football/vide ... hese-words

Nothing facetious about it. He’s being serious.

He won’t last long if that’s his attitude towards one of the most important parts of the game.
Can't see the vid as sky sports is region blocked but I'm guessing I've seen the actual interview.

The set pieces question has been running for weeks (much longer than that in truth) and I think that if anyone thinks he's not aware of it and/or not really doing things behind the scenes to address it then I think that'd be a bit of a naive viewpoint. The answer he gave in one video I saw was nuanced and not dismissive as it was taken and reported on. There was another that was sarcastic and facetious after question after mundane question...all part of the circus.

To assume he's been found out I feel is about as short sighted as it might have been to think that he would be gone in 6 months, even given Spurs a bit Watford-y when it comes to keeping managers. Same at Celtic, again he chose when he moved on.

He's not a character that will have his job dictated to him by pundit and commentators, and he's certainly not dozy to let this narrative perpetuate either, as much as the bs might annoy him. He's been around the block a few times.

Levy seems to have bought in, and Arteta by comparison was given 18 months of fans wanting his head and turned it around from a considerably worse position, one they'd not been in in nearly 30 years. Are Spurs fans as fickle I wonder.
Stumpy

Bluedylan1 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 11:24 am I think he's got to be given some time. It's his first season, and he's taken them from 8th to 5th which they would've taken at the start of the season.

Klopp and Pep didn't have stellar first seasons and were both accused of being inflexible in different ways. Not that he's on their level, but still the point stands that you need to be given some time and probably more transfer windows to ship jokers like Emerson Royale and Ben Davies out of the club. They also need to seriously freshen their forward line up. Son is a fading power now, Kulusevski has some quality but no speed and no tricks to get away from a man out wide, Werner's speed and nothing else and Richy has his qualities but is very limited technically. It's just not a great set of options.

Having said all of that, it's fair to criticise Ange for being inflexible and a bit naive at times, and I know some Spurs fans who still very much support him but raise the same questions about him. He'll have to adapt and improve to work out long term in the job. I'm quite sure he realises that, whatever he says in the media.
I was out yesterday to watch the match with a load of mates including a couple of Spurs fans and they were saying pretty much what you are saying.
Give him time because they really do not want to change again.
They think he can take them forward, but he has to adapt, you can't keep playing the same way, and cant ignore the fact they are regularly leaking goals from set pieces.
I will admit i'm not sure about him.
I will also admit i was mildly irritated at the hysterical over hype after the first ten games, and fair play to my mates they never got carried away with it all, saying they hadn't beaten anybody of note only the shite and that was because of unbelievable incompetence of the officials
Shogun

Would love Man United to get slapped tonight. No Fernandes, no fit CBs and just a shit annoying team in general.

Shogun

State of Casemiro at CB.
Shogun

Olise and Eze are an absolute nightmare for teams in those central positions
MmmBlueBranthwaite

Utd are shite.

Love watching Palace play.
Farming karma like the Dalai Llama
777Kidnappings

Feels like utd might finally be at the their tipping point now. Utterly shite, massive wages and probably isn't attract the very top talent anymore. If I were Branthwaite I wouldn't want to go there cos its not a stepping stone and they aren't great. Not sure how the sell what they already have given they are all on about 3 times what they are worth
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic