Dominic Calvert-Lewin

This is the new NSNO Everton forum to discuss the Mighty Blues
4evablu

Re: Dominic Calvert-Lewin

UnsyisaRhino wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:01 pm What doesn't help that polarisation between the two camps, is that we are generally better with him in the team. His work off the ball is pretty good, although probably less effective than it was when he wasn't protecting himself from injury every game.

It makes that side want to give him time because a big part of the support must come from that impact, where as the other side probably think that the goal scoring has to come first.

My biggest issue is that he should be dropped, but I'm not sure anyone else would be more likely to score right now. beto has been wasteful too and is less effective in his all round game.

It's a shame we didn't keep hold of Cannon, he's scored a few good goals since the move.
Is it i think it's pretty poor to what it has been...hardly wins a header..when he does it generally goes nowwhere...his first touch has deserted him....even his short passing is poor...but liek i said in an earlier post..his ANTICIPATION is non existent....
I DO HOPE sincerely he turns it around for his sake and the sake of the team and club.
He's gonna get a brace now on saturday i've bemoaned all that !!
WBFBTPL
777Kidnappings

Gary1878 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:47 am The issue is, what other options do we have?

1. Play Beto and hope that he has a run of form
2. Continue to play DCL
3. Play DCL and Beto together
4. Tweak tactics to allow DCL a different forward role

None of the above have guaranteed better outcomes than continuing with DCL and hoping that he turns this around.

We are a team that actually creates a fair few chances in games and there isn’t an excuse for not scoring more other than not being clinical when it matters.

We are by far and away the worst team in the league for xG on goals scored. By chances created, we should have scored another +14! The next one down is Chelsea at +8 and the majority of teams are between +3 and -3 (where you should be).

The Douc has been great this year, and his xG shows how much more clinical he has been (only +1 compared with DCLs +5).

Again, we only have ourselves to blame. Fulham was another example of really poor finishing, and it is a good thing that our defence is fairly solid otherwise it would almost certainly mean relegation.

Oh, and DCL isn’t the least clinical in the league. I believe that gong goes to Darwin Nunez (+7).
Surely least clinical is a percentage thing. If dcl has 1 and should have 8 that's worse than someone who has 32 but should have 40.
AjaxAndy

I know he's missed some chances but I think it's probably hard when you only create one half decent chance for him per game, and maybe only one clear cut chance every 5.

Hardly allows a player to find their rhythm, especially after such a long time out and struggling probably physically with playing again so regularly.

Just seems a big ask to say 'well that one good chance you get every 5 games HAS to be buried, oh and please take one or two of the other half chances we create too'.

Needs to be more clinical for sure, but don't feel as a team we provide him with anywhere near the ammunition required to find the net more than once in a blue moon.
4evablu

I slightly disagree there he does get chances created he just either doesn’t react to them or doesn’t take them. Beto got hammered on here for missing that header the other night yet DcL missed a similar earlier chance? I’d love to the stat of the number of balls we put into the box each game.
His 1-1 chance against villa was just…well amateurish. Don’t forget this is an England level striker.
He can’t keep being defended with the injury excuse I’m afraid.
WBFBTPL
AjaxAndy

4evablu wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:17 pm I slightly disagree there he does get chances created he just either doesn’t react to them or doesn’t take them. Beto got hammered on here for missing that header the other night yet DcL missed a similar earlier chance? I’d love to the stat of the number of balls we put into the box each game.
His 1-1 chance against villa was just…well amateurish. Don’t forget this is an England level striker.
He can’t keep being defended with the injury excuse I’m afraid.
Back post, tight angle, climbing over defenders to get it... Wasn't an easy chance imo.

I'd say thinking back the only real clear cut chance was the one v one, others have been half chances and it's not a given someone scores them.

A fully fit and firing DCL might have scored what, 3? He hasn't taken any... So we're providing low quality opportunities and he's not taking them which is no surprise.

We generally lump it in the box where he's tussling with defenders and often the ball seems to be slightly behind him too which is extremely frustrating.

I just think that if we want our out of form striker to score some goals we need to provide him with better opportunities than we have been.
4evablu

Likewise ye can’t put every chance on a plate for him just because been out injured… I don’t understand your point:
A fully fit and firing DCL might have scored what, 3? He hasn't taken any... So we're providing low quality opportunities and he's not taking them which is no surprise
Are you saying a fully fit DCL would only score 3 from all the misses he’s missed ? That doesn’t equate to poor quality chances created- it equates to poor finishing…
WBFBTPL
777Kidnappings

Hes missed loads of chances doing the team an absolute disservice suggesting we don't create chances for him. We do and he misses them over and over again
AjaxAndy

4evablu wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:16 pm Likewise ye can’t put every chance on a plate for him just because been out injured… I don’t understand your point:
A fully fit and firing DCL might have scored what, 3? He hasn't taken any... So we're providing low quality opportunities and he's not taking them which is no surprise
Are you saying a fully fit DCL would only score 3 from all the misses he’s missed ? That doesn’t equate to poor quality chances created- it equates to poor finishing…
I'm saying both, his finishing has been poor and we don't create enough good chances for him. It's both those things.
UnsyisaRhino

4evablu wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:57 am Is it i think it's pretty poor to what it has been...hardly wins a header..when he does it generally goes nowwhere...his first touch has deserted him....even his short passing is poor...but liek i said in an earlier post..his ANTICIPATION is non existent....
I DO HOPE sincerely he turns it around for his sake and the sake of the team and club.
He's gonna get a brace now on saturday i've bemoaned all that !!
You're right, but I still think he does most of those things better than Beto, and Beto just can't get around the pitch to support the system as well as Dom from a defensive perspective.

I hope you're right, but I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see him score more than 3-4 this season both because of the anticipation problem, but also him playing within himself to avoid injury. When was the last time he really launched himself at a cross?
brap2

He put a diving header over the bar in the last game
Kerryblueboy

I think he needs one to get him going get his confidence back it’s almost there maybe we might get a penalty against spurs
Bluedylan1

brap2 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:20 am He put a diving header over the bar in the last game
Didn't he also hit the bar from quite close in as well?
TheRam

Hasn’t he also missed quite a few free headers that he normally puts away.

It’s just a striker massively out of form. It’s on him more than anything else.
Escalator

Kerryblueboy wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:10 am I think he needs one to get him going get his confidence back it’s almost there maybe we might get a penalty against spurs
Think we’re more likely to get a red card than a penalty.
eyesalwaysblue

The times we do manage to get the ball into the box from wide positions he’s arriving when the chance is gone, maybe it’s Dych’s instructions but it’s not working at the moment, he should be harassing the last defender to increase his opportunities.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic