Amadou Onana

This is the new NSNO Everton forum to discuss the Mighty Blues
AjaxAndy

Re: Amadou Onana

Might be controversial but I don't think Onana is particularly good on the ball.

Passes it sideways well but misplaces almost all forward passes that could lead to dangerous situations or put someone through on goal.

His use of the ball is my biggest criticism of him and we wouldn't miss much in that regard if he left.

Strong at tackling and interceptions though, and recycles it well. It's only if he suddenly starts stepping through the lines and finding slide rule through balls in to feet that we'd miss his ball playing. He does have the potential to do that, but as yet he's not developed those skills.
Cantoffee

AjaxAndy wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:11 pm Might be controversial but I don't think Onana is particularly good on the ball.

Passes it sideways well but misplaces almost all forward passes that could lead to dangerous situations or put someone through on goal.

His use of the ball is my biggest criticism of him and we wouldn't miss much in that regard if he left.

Strong at tackling and interceptions though, and recycles it well. It's only if he suddenly starts stepping through the lines and finding slide rule through balls in to feet that we'd miss his ball playing. He does have the potential to do that, but as yet he's not developed those skills.
Our only midfielder who can take the ball off the defence and turn upfield. Opens up the game for us a lot.

Every other CM we have passes to the the fullback or CB after receiving it and it then gets hoofed upfield.

Not sure if the sell-on is 20% or 20% of profit but looks like straight 20%.

If he does go for £50million in Jan it's only a £15million or so profit. Wait until the summer, sell for £60 million and get around £28 million in profit.
Blueomar

Bluedylan1

If Arsenal, Man U and Chels all want him and they want him in January then you need to be asking for silly money.
AjaxAndy

Cantoffee wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:16 pm Our only midfielder who can take the ball off the defence and turn upfield. Opens up the game for us a lot.

Every other CM we have passes to the the fullback or CB after receiving it and it then gets hoofed upfield.

Not sure if the sell-on is 20% or 20% of profit but looks like straight 20%.

If he does go for £50million in Jan it's only a £15million or so profit. Wait until the summer, sell for £60 million and get around £28 million in profit.
Yes but he hardly ever does it... He'd be a monster if he did it regularly, but it's rare he does.

It'll be 20% of profit, no news outlets ever say '20% of profit made on any future sale', but I'm sure everyone is tired of that discussion so I'll not bang on about it again.
brap2

He does what he's asked. Always good to take that into account on what a player can/can't do.

We don't use midfield distribution, if we receive the ball deep we are looking to hold the ball, don't turn it over, get it to someone who can lump it up to the opposition centre backs.

If there's no pressure, they can turn, but then the midfield and attackers are not positioned to receive the ball, they are positioned to win second balls.

Next time you watch Brighton, arsenal, Liverpool, villa, whoever you want that plays through the midfield, look at how their players are positioned when their deepest CM or CB has the ball compared to ours. Our players are not in the place space or body position to receive the ball to feet.

But, he's also 22 and does have some developing to do.
AjaxAndy

brap2 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:04 pm He does what he's asked. Always good to take that into account on what a player can/can't do.

We don't use midfield distribution, if we receive the ball deep we are looking to hold the ball, don't turn it over, get it to someone who can lump it up to the opposition centre backs.

If there's no pressure, they can turn, but then the midfield and attackers are not positioned to receive the ball, they are positioned to win second balls.

Next time you watch Brighton, arsenal, Liverpool, villa, whoever you want that plays through the midfield, look at how their players are positioned when their deepest CM or CB has the ball compared to ours. Our players are not in the place space or body position to receive the ball to feet.

But, he's also 22 and does have some developing to do.
I think it's both tbh, because sometimes he does do it... The tactics aren't expansive so his play will always reflect that to an extent, but he occasionally drives through the midfield so I think it's fair to say he could do it more and doesn't.

I also think down the line he'll do it and be a beast for whoever he signs for. I just don't think he's developed enough yet to dictate games effectively, and I doubt he'll get to that stage here because we'll sell him before then.

I probably sound like I'm being down on Onana most of the time, but it's more that I see a very promising player who won't be here long and will never achieve his potential whilst wearing the Everton shirt, so it all just seems a little pointless to me.
cassius

AjaxAndy wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:18 pm I think it's both tbh, because sometimes he does do it... The tactics aren't expansive so his play will always reflect that to an extent, but he occasionally drives through the midfield so I think it's fair to say he could do it more and doesn't.

I also think down the line he'll do it and be a beast for whoever he signs for. I just don't think he's developed enough yet to dictate games effectively, and I doubt he'll get to that stage here because we'll sell him before then.

I probably sound like I'm being down on Onana most of the time, but it's more that I see a very promising player who won't be here long and will never achieve his potential whilst wearing the Everton shirt, so it all just seems a little pointless to me.
I think you've made a strong case here that whatever he's doing is because that's what he's been asked to do.
Gary1878

What makes Onana worth half the amount that Caicedo was?

Can someone explain this with some numbers/stats?

Or are we just saying that Chelsea got a overpriced deal?
Shogun

Chelsea did overpay but Caicedo is also a much better player.
wepull

United are struggling in that position. Casemiro n Amrabat have been pretty poor this season. Mainoo, though highly rated, has been caught out a lot of times. They'd love to have Onana there, even if it costs them another 80 odd million
Escalator

Gary1878 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:51 pm What makes Onana worth half the amount that Caicedo was?

Can someone explain this with some numbers/stats?

Or are we just saying that Chelsea got a overpriced deal?
Not half but less because Arsenal will not offer an eight year contract over which they could amortise the fee.
Kerryblueboy

Read this morning that Hamburg have a 20% sell on clause if he is sold to a club outside England his ownership and contract is very complicated
777Kidnappings

Obviously never going to happen but I'd loan him to utd if they loaned us mctom till the end of the season. Think we'd be more likely to stay up that way and it puts him in the shop window
Shogun

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic