Blues cards to be introduced then

Chat about football that isn't Everton in here
Shogun

Blues cards to be introduced then

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... -sin-bins/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68246971

Absolute hate this idea. Feels like something else for referees to use inconsistently and screw teams over with.
AjaxAndy

Re: Blues cards to be introduced then

Shogun wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:22 pm https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... -sin-bins/

Absolute hate this idea. Feels like something else for referees to use inconsistently and screw teams over with.
100% agree, not a fan at all... Feels the more they 'improve' the game the worse they make it.
biziclop

I'm all for it in principle, I think booking players for a professional foul is a joke of a punishment.

However I agree with Shogs in that it'll be worth fuck all in the hands of the bunch of bent clowns we call referees these days.
CannockPricey

Oh great, VAR has already hugely improved the game.

It also doesn't seem very thought through. Two blues is a red, two yellows is a red or a combination of yellow and blue is a red.

So, if I commit a blue and then a yellow I get a red (and have already served a ten min sin bin). If I commit a yellow then a blue I am just sent off and the ten min sin bin does not apply.

So, actually unless the Blue is the first card you get it is going to make precisely no difference at all to your punishment.
Cozzie

What's the odds of this being another "everton first"?

We're gonna be the only team to receive a blue card for a player before they decide to scrap it aren't we?
biziclop

CannockPricey wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:35 pm Oh great, VAR has already hugely improved the game.

It also doesn't seem very thought through. Two blues is a red, two yellows is a red or a combination of yellow and blue is a red.

So, if I commit a blue and then a yellow I get a red (and have already served a ten min sin bin). If I commit a yellow then a blue I am just sent off and the ten min sin bin does not apply.

So, actually unless the Blue is the first card you get it is going to make precisely no difference at all to your punishment.
I'd argue that this actually makes perfect sense, and is the whole point.

AFAIK the offences they want to introduce it for are professional foul and dissent, which are currently both bookable offences. But crucially, in practice they are offences very rarely committed by players already booked. And on the occasion they are, a sending off is exactly the right level of punishment, there's little argument about that.

So the idea isn't to punish these things harder across the board, it is to make the punishment that already exists meaningful if a player hasn't yet been booked, which is something that would indeed improve the game.
CannockPricey

biziclop wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:23 pm I'd argue that this actually makes perfect sense, and is the whole point.

AFAIK the offences they want to introduce it for are professional foul and dissent, which are currently both bookable offences. But crucially, in practice they are offences very rarely committed by players already booked. And on the occasion they are, a sending off is exactly the right level of punishment, there's little argument about that.

So the idea isn't to punish these things harder across the board, it is to make the punishment that already exists meaningful if a player hasn't yet been booked, which is something that would indeed improve the game.
I don't know the figures at all and you might be right but players getting a second yellow for a cynical professional type foul doesn't feel that rare to me especially in the latter stages of a game where it seems a decent calculated call and this won't affect that at all. I might be wrong. Second yellows for dissent are pretty rare I'd agree.
biziclop

CannockPricey wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:34 pm I don't know the figures at all and you might be right but players getting a second yellow for a cynical professional type foul doesn't feel that rare to me especially in the latter stages of a game where it seems a decent calculated call and this won't affect that at all. I might be wrong. Second yellows for dissent are pretty rare I'd agree.
Professional foul second yellows are definitely far more common than dissent, but I think they're still pretty rare, and to me they feel more an act of desperation than the calculated call it is for non-booked players.

But the point still stands, the aim here is not to punish harder but to turn what is practically no punishment (especially for rich teams with big squads) into something that is meaningful.
CannockPricey

I'll reserve judgement then but my gut is that anything that makes the game more complicated is a risk and as likely to make it worse as it is better. I'll happily be proved wrong but I'm sceptical.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with bans as well. If two yellows is defaulting to a one game ban as currently then yellow followed by blue (which obviously doesn't include a sin bin) feels like it needs more punishment than two yellows as it has had no extra impact on the game it occurred in whereas blue followed by yellow has already harmed your team earlier in the game in question.
Jimmywhack

A bit of a farce this tbh
Champagne lifestyle, Lemonade wages
CannockPricey

My sister was involved in a hockey sinbinning in the over 35s world cup final between England and Ireland the summer before last. She was binned for a cynical foul (wrongly to this day if you ask her) and given 5mins. A minute or so later, an Irish player was also binned for 5mins. The Irish player was called back on the pitch before my sister who is usually quite mild mannered. She pointed this mistake out quite vociferously to the officials and I was quite surprised she didn't go back in the bin but I think they realised their mistake.

England won 2-1 in the end and I am glad as I don't think we'd have heard the end of it otherwise. She's a good Blue obviously by the way but her point will be make sure the timekeepers are hot on this too.
74Blue

Cozzie wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:43 pm What's the odds of this being another "everton first"?

We're gonna be the only team to receive a blue card for a player before they decide to scrap it aren't we?
Why do you think they chose Blue for the card. It will be Yellow for the everyone else and blue for Everton.
TheRam

I don’t think this is happening anywhere near top level football.
TheRam

The Premier League has already ruled out being part of the initial roll-out of any trial, while football's world governing body Fifa said "reports of the so-called 'blue card' at elite levels of football are incorrect and premature".

It added: "Any such trials, if implemented, should be limited to testing in a responsible manner at lower levels, a position that Fifa intends to reiterate when this agenda item is discussed at the Ifab AGM [annual general meeting] on 1 March."

And breathe
Escla

So what if a group of players surround the referee ,does he sent five or six players to the sin bin ?
Also heard tge Manager of I think Aldershot saying if a player of his got a blue then they would waste as much time as possible knowing that the time would be added on when they would have 11 players back on the pitch again.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic