Manager Merry-Go-Round

Chat about football that isn't Everton in here
Shogun

Re: Manager Merry-Go-Round

There does seem a bit of delusion in the Forest ranks though. Like, they expected to be competing for Europe within a couple of years (i.e. now) of being promoted to the premier league on the back of just buying a bunch of players.

I'm not talking about fans because it's irrelevant what they think but it's what the owner expects and he doesn't seem like the sort of guy capable of progressing a football club to be that imo.
Toffee1

AjaxAndy

It's a weird appointment, if they really think they should be pushing for Europe then they should be bringing in a more progressive coach.

If they want to just be solid and stay up then there's not much point in getting rid of Cooper who would have kept them up anyway you'd imagine.

Seems a strange appointment.
Toffee1

Audrey Horne

eh??
Shogun

Could you be arsed with that bell being your manager.

I didn't realise he'd retired from football tbh
cassius

He was a player coach at FGR before being given the role.

He'll do about as well there as Dunc.
Gash

Bit bonkers their owner isn't he, keep employing people with little or no experience this is what will happen. There will be plenty experienced League One and League Two managers out there who could probably turn things around for them. Seems to have a touch of the Moshiri's where he wants a well known name like Deeney or Ferguson rather than someone with a bit of a track record.
Cereal Killer

Forest Green are on a fast track back to their usual position of just about existing in the Conference
blueToffee

David Moyes: West Ham's fans divided over man who delivered Europa Conference League title

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/67739722

Not gone or anything, but given what's he done for them I think it's odd how often I here West Ham fans grumbling about him. I suppose it's the the problem with the type of success Moyes' brings, he takes you out of the doldrums, can make a side that can be competitive but generally the type of clubs he manages (sadly including us) often have a ceiling in the game as it is today where finances are so skewed to the very top. That said, I do get it can get frustrating at times in terms of how he approaches some games.

I suspect they'd be back amongst the relegation teams within a few years if he left...but who knows.
Shogun

I don't think the ceiling is the clubs he manages, I think the ceiling comes from him. And as much as West Ham fans loved the European success, that competition can be absolutely dire and apart from the final against Fiorentina, there's nobody really of note that they had to get through.

Moyes is good but does get to the point where you're going "What's the point?" when you're 3-0 down in a cup QF with 33% possession and 0 shots after 65 minutes,
blueToffee

Shogun wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:05 pm I don't think the ceiling is the clubs he manages, I think the ceiling comes from him. And as much as West Ham fans loved the European success, that competition can be absolutely dire and apart from the final against Fiorentina, there's nobody really of note that they had to get through.

Moyes is good but does get to the point where you're going "What's the point?" when you're 3-0 down in a cup QF with 33% possession and 0 shots after 65 minutes,
A bit of both no? Moyes has a ceiling as do most of the clubs he manages? West Ham likely don't go much higher without significant investment no matter which manager comes in. They may get another easy road to a final, but that's about it in all likelihood.
Shogun

blueToffee wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:45 pm A bit of both no? Moyes has a ceiling as do most of the clubs he manages? West Ham likely don't go much higher without significant investment no matter which manager comes in. They may get another easy road to a final, but that's about it in all likelihood.
They've spent loads of money the summer before last and even this summer brought in Alvarez, JWP and Kudus. The fact he had that squad 16th for most of last season was actually pretty dire considering their squad is equivalent to the likes of Newcastle and Aston Villa imo.

I think that's Moyes though. You can stick a brilliant XI in his team or an abysmal XI and it'll still probably be well organised side that is hard working whilst dependent on set pieces and Bowen to score goals.
blueToffee

Shogun wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:53 pm They've spent loads of money the summer before last and even this summer brought in Alvarez, JWP and Kudus. The fact he had that squad 16th for most of last season was actually pretty dire considering their squad is equivalent to the likes of Newcastle and Aston Villa imo.

I think that's Moyes though. You can stick a brilliant XI in his team or an abysmal XI and it'll still probably be well organised side that is hard working whilst dependent on set pieces and Bowen to score goals.
Last season league wise was a bit of an anomaly though you'd likely say. They're ninth as it stands and that's probably about their level.

They've spent, but the Rice money does cover a decent chunk of that I expect.

For me though, I imagine they drop lower after Moyes goes, but we'll see.
Stumpy

Must be getting a bit of a worry for howe at newcastle now.
Another dismal defeat on the road today.
They are great at home, but rotten away one win all season.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic