Financial Fairplay Investigation - Further 2 points deducted.

This is the new NSNO Everton forum to discuss the Mighty Blues

What is the lowest amount of points you would feel content with receiving back from the appeal?

5%
1-3
7%
4-6
53%
7-9
10%
25%

Total votes: 59

Shogun

Re: Financial Fairplay Investigation - Charged again

Pinch of salt but I feel like if it was bad news then Ornstein would have leaked it on the Premier League's behalf almost instantly.
Bluedylan1

My main source of hope is that the appeal hearing was 3 days, so there must've been a lot of material to wade through, and it sounds like Big Lozza Rabs has been getting his teeth into it. Hopefully the combined weight of each of our grievances is enough to convince a panel that some sort of reduction is in order.
HANNU

Bluedylan1 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:54 pm My main source of hope is that the appeal hearing was 3 days, so there must've been a lot of material to wade through, and it sounds like Big Lozza Rabs has been getting his teeth into it. Hopefully the combined weight of each of our grievances is enough to convince a panel that some sort of reduction is in order.
I choose to expect the worst and anything else is a bonus, I've supported Everton for too long to get my hopes up at any point
Toddacelli

I still don’t think a points deduction is even the right TYPE of punishment, let alone the extreme nature of it.

Those running the club broke spending rules, why not apply spending sanctions? This would make sense.

You broke financial regulations, but we’re giving operational sanctions. That doesn’t make sense to me.

A fine, transfer spend limits, reduce the amount of non-homegrown spaces in the squad so we have to invest in the club rather than throw money at shiny things. All these things make much more sense to me.

Anyway - when do we hear?
Goaljira

Maybe it'll be like when you appeal a sending off in FM, and end up getting an extra deduction for having the cheek.
777Kidnappings

Toddacelli wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:39 pm I still don’t think a points deduction is even the right TYPE of punishment, let alone the extreme nature of it.

Those running the club broke spending rules, why not apply spending sanctions? This would make sense.

You broke financial regulations, but we’re giving operational sanctions. That doesn’t make sense to me.

A fine, transfer spend limits, reduce the amount of non-homegrown spaces in the squad so we have to invest in the club rather than throw money at shiny things. All these things make much more sense to me.

Anyway - when do we hear?

I would have thought the first step (when dealing which small numbers by football terms) would be a couple of points suspended and like you say maybe some limits to attempt to get us back in line.

I just don't know how they come to a conclusion of 10 points. it leaves them with nowhere to go.

I've zero faith we are going to get a good outcome. I've zero faith in the process

Feels really weird that it's all behind closed doors. We don't know whats happened or even when we'll get a verdict. It will just be announced with little or no notice. The whole thing might not even have happened for all any of us know
Cods

superpull wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:59 am The £19.5m overspend was after *a lot* of writing off due to unusual circumstances.

The PL just got tired of the long list of excuses and drew a line in the sand.
Yep, so how much is the 'right' amount?

Huge leeway for accounting assumptions here that the PL probably couldn't challenge with any accuracy. If we'd found an extra 20m covid costs, which wouldn't be hard when building what is now a 3/4 of a billion dollar stadium on top of everything else, we'd have been covered,(in itself, the funding of such a thing should provide extra scope for expenses, even if it is to be accounted for separately)

Also not sure that getting tired of following the numbers is an acceptable excuse for any regulator, even if that was their reasoning.

At least they had a long list to review, and answers to their queries, unlike their dealings with some other clubs.
Trowel

Bookmark this - a staggering indictment of Kenwright's reign and the total absence of a long-term strategy.
brap2

Cods wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:59 am Yep, so how much is the 'right' amount?

Huge leeway for accounting assumptions here that the PL probably couldn't challenge with any accuracy. If we'd found an extra 20m covid costs, which wouldn't be hard when building what is now a 3/4 of a billion dollar stadium on top of everything else, we'd have been covered,(in itself, the funding of such a thing should provide extra scope for expenses, even if it is to be accounted for separately)

Also not sure that getting tired of following the numbers is an acceptable excuse for any regulator, even if that was their reasoning.

At least they had a long list to review, and answers to their queries, unlike their dealings with some other clubs.
A lot of our claims were absolutely codswallop unfortunately.

Tried to say the % all clubs pay into the football pyramid was 'youth development' for example.

The stadium thing is made a lot of, including the idea the prem 'changed the rules' - if anyone has the skinny on that I'd be keen to hear it, because to me it sounds like we just tried to tack on loan interest into the stadium bill.
Escalator

Trowel wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:54 am Bookmark this - a staggering indictment of Kenwright's reign and the total absence of a long-term strategy.
Pretty pathetic, doubt we’ve improved on that position the last two years.
Jamokachi

Hmmm, the other way to look at it is that the match day experience at Goodison has remained affordable and has served/is serving to support other local businesses, such as pubs. All of which will change with the move to BMD.

... just to play Devil's advocate :)
Gash

Cods wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:59 am Yep, so how much is the 'right' amount?

We'd already cooked the books with Covid costs and claimed more than pretty much every other club without trying to find another £20m on top of that. It was our Covid claim that made Leeds and Burnley write to the PL asking them to investigate our losses.
4evablu

call me naive but i don't get all these "cooking the books" comments.
We had independent accountants managing the accounts..third party auditors auditing and checking the accounts...the premier league over seeing the accounts...are people saying ALL these people are incompetent and don't know what they're doing to allow Everton to "cook the books" ?
WBFBTPL
Goaljira

4evablu wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:42 pm call me naive but i don't get all these "cooking the books" comments.
We had independent accountants managing the accounts..third party auditors auditing and checking the accounts...the premier league over seeing the accounts...are people saying ALL these people are incompetent and don't know what they're doing to allow Everton to "cook the books" ?
The audited and verified accounts show that Everton lost far far far more than the allowable £105m in the first period. That isn't questioned. It's the justification for those losses that is being argued over. Everton are claiming (somewhat extended) extenuating circumstances, which the 'independant commison' deemed not relevant.
Gash

4evablu wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:42 pm call me naive but i don't get all these "cooking the books" comments.
Maybe that's why BDO walked away then?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... -financing

We claimed £170m for Covid losses, Aston Villa a similar sized club to us claimed around £56m, Arsenal a club who stand to lose far more in revenue than us claimed around £85m. Several journalists and newspapers have written about our financial affairs, Panorama even investigated our ownership. As well as wasting money on shite players we've been dodgy as fuck for years and got caught, we weren't even subtle about it half the time.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic