Today's Football 2023-24

Chat about football that isn't Everton in here
Cods

Re: Today's Football 2023-24

Tom Cairney has just admitted on TV that he's thrown himself to the ground as soon as he felt contact, and he's laughed about it. That there was zero in it to make him go down.

Why is the game rewarding players who are cheating and trying to mislead?

The last one is never a penalty either.
TheRam

Cods wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:23 pm Tom Cairney has just admitted on TV that he's thrown himself to the ground as soon as he felt contact, and he's laughed about it. That there was zero in it to make him go down.

The last one is a clear pen.

His thigh takes away his leg and knocks him off balance.
Shogun

TheRam wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:26 pm
Cods wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:23 pm Tom Cairney has just admitted on TV that he's thrown himself to the ground as soon as he felt contact, and he's laughed about it. That there was zero in it to make him go down.

The last one is a clear pen.

His thigh takes away his leg and knocks him off balance.
Feel like people look at the defender and try to have sympathy. For me, he's stuck his leg across, blocked his path and not got anywhere near the ball. It's a pen.

The first penalty is more of a debate
TheRam

The reactions to this are pathetic.

Ok, the first one is debatable, but the other two are pens.

Do we need this debate every week for what are marginal decisions.
Cods

Rant loading...

Looking for a penalty, looking to hit the deck rather than attempting to chase the ball, should never be rewarded with a penalty.

Players whose legs and body collapse and go down, all this talk around balance and high speed is largely bollocks. Players know precisely what they're doing, they're looking out for it every time.

Andy Townsend commented today that the player is "well within his rights to go down", but the point is that it just isn't right. It's deceptive. People actually listen to that shit, and some believe it.

We've been conditioned for too many years with soft dubious fouls given in the box that should never be, and for a long time it simply wasn't the case.
(Admittedly it was bad with players kicking lumps out of each other but we've come too far the other way)
The only thing that has changed is that players now are more prone to or intent on cheating because it gets rewarded. 'Contact' should never be interpreted as 'foul' and with super slomo it's mostly misdirecting ref's decisions.

Not sure I know the answer but this sort of stuff is no way to be deciding a game. The game itself is being ruined by it. We're no longer talking about who was the better team and deserved to win, it's minute focus on largely inconsequential and often dubious instances in matches that decide results these days.

Killman's response to the head bob directed toward him *largely* was the way players should react. We need to disincentivise what could have been dishonest play by 'doing a Kane' and flopping to the deck. That doesn't mean not punishing the offender, but there's no reason that that wouldn't have been picked up and punished by the ref anyway.

Rant ends, I'll continue shaking my fist at the clouds.
Cereal Killer

Like everything, they just need to be consistent, you give them all or you give none, not a few one week and nothing the next for exactly the same kind of challenge
Audrey Horne

What you watching this eve?

Newcastle game i recon?
Cereal Killer

Yay sin bins :roll:

Yet another idea that’ll be randomly implemented and completely inconsistent
Shogun

Hate the idea of sin bins in football. Somebody needs to tell them less is more.
Cereal Killer

And they’re considering the use of VAR for free kicks?

Fucking hell, last thing we need is more VAR
weimaranerblues

Var for free kicks jesus games will be going on for about 60mins per half

Sin bins guarantee we will be first team to a player binned
Shogun

Basically if Newcastle lose tonight then they're officially out of the champions league?

If they lose and Milan win then they're guaranteed bottom of the group?

Subscribe.
CannockPricey

There must be someone in the upper echelons of the football hierarchy watching games and thinking "blimey, VAR has absolutely nailed this offside thing and it's taken all the controversy out of red card decisions and goodness me, what a triumph it has been on penalty decisions...need to get this rolled out for free kicks now just to expand on the success...hopefully one day we can use it for every throw in"

I absolutely despair. I thought it would be horrifically shit and suck the joy out of the game but I hold my hands up, it's been far worse than I imagined.
In a world full of adversity, we must still dare to dream.
Shogun

Celtic/Rangers should give another Scottish club a go at the CL next season. When was the last time either made it out the group stages?
Stumpy

Just watched the incident cods and it's pathetic.
Not that i didn't know it already, but the games gone. it's fucked.
And townsend's comment oh he's entitled to go down makes me puke
Locked Previous topicNext topic