Trowel

Re: Dyche

https://twitter.com/statsports/status/1724067807782924444
sam of the south

Yeah, that’s encouraging
Bluedylan1

I think that tells us basically what we know - very good without the ball.

Amusing that there were no balls allowed in the 'Gaffer's Day'. God forbid you bring a footie to play with.
AjaxAndy

Just goes to show that if you know how to use limited tools correctly you can still get a good end product out of them.

Sure people will bemoan the style of play, but we're nowhere near being a Brighton or the like, we're a team that avoided relegation on the last day of the season and with only a game to spare the season before.

Hard work, fitness, dedication, structure and desire are all things that will elevate us above similar level teams, and so I'm not really arsed about the style of football if those things improve our fortunes in a big way.

Better footy and better players are something to worry about down the line, not now.
Bluedylan1

It's funny to me that people assume that if you want more than 20% possession at home to a Europe League team, you're asking to play like Brighton, a team who average over 60% possession over the season.

Straw man anyone?

Anyway, no one was bemoaning anything. Just observing what has already been said, that we're very good without the ball. No need to get defensive every time Dyche is met with anything other than overwhelming praise.
AjaxAndy

Bluedylan1 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:06 pm
Amusing that there were no balls allowed in the 'Gaffer's Day'. God forbid you bring a footie to play with.
Maybe it's just me, but comments like this come across pretty snarky... So it's hard to pick up any positive messaging, or anything other than negative connotations.

Could be you're just being tongue in cheek and I'm not picking up on it though 🤷
74Blue

You know exactly what you're going to get from a Sean Dyche team. It's always going to be 100% commitment, fitness and never say die. However, it's not quite the same as Allardyceball. Sam Allardyce sets his teams up to be in your face, turgid shite. With Dyche, it starts with the basic, low block, turgid, in your face stuff, but at least you can see the intention to gradually improve the footballing side of things.
I definitely think Dyche is a much safer pair of hands than big Sam.
superpull

It's quite simply a counter-attacking brand of football based on a low-block, quick transition, high percentage game.
Allardyce was, on paper, exactly the same.
The only difference is a Dyche team specifically waits for opportunities to force the issue, create a chance to win the game whereas an Allardyce team waits for a slice of luck/mistake from the opposition.

We will come up against teams who dont particularly want the ball and are content to wait for us to make a mistake. These teams crippled Allardyce (and Moyes a lot of the time, to be fair). One massive plus for Dyche is he stands a much better chance against these teams as his forwards actively push to create chances whenever they do have the ball.
Escalator

I found it a bit snarky too, putting a downer on what was to me was an encouraging post.
4evablu

You always hear pundits and fans saying "they play to their strengths"
There's 3 styles of football managers play to their strengths with nowadays.
1. Possession football and progress to create a chance or goal
2. Defensive football that attempts to stop the opposition from scoring. If they don't score we draw or win if we get a chance and take it
3. Attacking football that goes gung to to score goals and "forget" the defensive side as we'll score more than them
Roughly translated
1. Pep Guardiola
2. Sam Allardyce
3. Martinez/Keegan at Newcastle/Brendan Rogers at them.

There is a 4th option which is/was the Klopp way who for a number of seasons managed to be reasonably successful with options 1&3 but not many (including him) can now sustain that without the right players.
And therein lies the issue "play to your strengths" based on the squad of players you have at your disposal.
DYCHE is doing fine at the minute,
WBFBTPL
Toddacelli

Imagine what he’d have done coming straight in off the back of Ancelotti.

James in the team and we swerve Benitez and Lampard.
74Blue

Toddacelli wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:38 pm Imagine what he’d have done coming straight in off the back of Ancelotti.

James in the team and we swerve Benitez and Lampard.
Imagine what he could have done coming straight off the back of Moyes? Dyche would have killed for a back four like the one that Martinez inherited. Already having the meat and potatoes in place to buld from would have been an absolute dream for him. Instead, we got a clown who didn't believe that there was any advantage to be gained from practicing set pieces and had this idea in his head that it was possible to polish a turd and make it shiny. Short term, it was lovely, but the cracks started to appear as his defensive frailties became more and more exposed.

It might not have been quite as exciting as RM's first season, but Dyche would not have allowed that solidity at the back to erode like Martinez did. With a bit of cash to throw at bolstering us as an attacking force, I'm pretty sure he'd have done a good job of keeping us competitive and pushing at the right end of the league.
Shogun

I mean, Dyche isn't a great manager and therefore it probably doesn't really matter when he took us over. That's not to say he's not a good manager but don't expect the football or the results to be all that different even with much better players. Think one of his main strengths is getting the most out of limited players, not sure getting the best out of genuinely talented players is quite his bag.
bigmanbob

James wouldn't have lasted 2 minutes under Dyche
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic