Dyche

This is the new NSNO Everton forum to discuss the Mighty Blues
Kerryblueboy
Posts: 458
Karma: 90

Re: Dyche

Post

Great post well put
Cantoffee
Posts: 85
Karma: 46

Re: Dyche

Post

I've been happy with Dyche so far. Not a big fan of his lack of substitutions but the squad is still not great beyond the first 11.

I do wonder if results continue will teams sit off us more, let us have the ball and force us to try to break them down. Not sure about Dyche in that scenario.

We get a lot of our chances by winning the ball in the middle third of the pitch and breaking quickly. The passing and movement isn't exactly intricate and I'm not sure if Dyche can coach us in scenarios where we have more possession and the opposition stands off us.

That being said, for the time being things are good. We are well drilled without the ball, break well, good set pieces going forward, creating plenty of chances. Hopefully he gets us safely between 12th-14th this season and we can re-group next summer and add to the squad.
TheRam
Posts: 911
Karma: 666

Re: Dyche

Post

The XG numbers are our most impressive since that stat became a thing.
Cods
User avatar
Posts: 521
Location: 33°51'06.5"S 151°13'06.6"E
Karma: 114

Re: Dyche

Post

Understand the calls for fresh legs earlier, but also think that Dyche could have a method to this, that he's extending our first choice players ensuring they're used to 90 at a Dyche tempo once/twice a week, so that at this fitness level the players can cope when we've got missing players and not able to ring the subs. Raising base level match fitness as a competitive advantage. I don't see any reason except for replacement player deficiencies that he'd want to leave tiring players on the field.

I think sometimes we underestimate what a coach sees, and we obviously aren't privy to what he knows or the tactics he really wants to employ.

Speculation too, of course.
AjaxAndy
Posts: 837
Karma: 301

Re: Dyche

Post

I think it's more than he doesn't trust Danjuma to work as hard defensively as McNeil or Harrison, and that he doesn't trust Patterson to not get rinsed because he'll dive in or get caught out of position.

There's also the fact the players on the pitch are in tune with the game and bringing on fresh legs disrupts this because they have to quickly adjust to the pattern of play and their defensive responsibilities.

Fresh legs sound great in theory, but when you're grinding out a 1-0 and the players on the pitch are carrying out the game plan effectively it's a risk to bring on players you don't trust to carry out a game plan that's difficult to come on and adjust to immediately.
Kerryblueboy
Posts: 458
Karma: 90

Re: Dyche

Post

How can you say Patterson will dive in when young got sent off already plus booked 3 times for diving in
NickNack
Posts: 79
Karma: 26

Re: Dyche

Post

4evablu wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:53 am
Escla wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:18 pm
NickNack wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:50 pm



Assuming the outcome would have been different with those fresh legs is speculation, no-one knows what the result would have been.

Saying Dyche cost us the win when the plan had worked for 85 out of 95 minutes until we conceded an absolute fluke of a goal just seems an odd statement to me. Fresh legs might have worked, they might not have. If they didn’t work out there’d have been posts on here blaming Dyche for changing it! 🤷‍♂️
Have a like !
i think you've just contradicted yourself their mate. Thats what specualtion is isn't it ?
But we'll never know will we because he didn't do it did he ? so its all speculation. Facts are mitoma was tearing a new one out of young. The team as a whole was tiring that was plain to see. They put fresh legs on against a tiring team and it obviously made a difference to their play and strategy. Everyone in the ground could see a break through was on the cards we were practically camped in our own half most of the second half and it came no matter how flukey it was and it came from the obvious source that was plain for all to see.
Dyche has a tendency to not make changes or if he does its very late in the game and IMO it's a dangerous strategy when you have a tiring side expected to not concede for 90+ mins when the possession is well in favour of the opposition.
Not assumption or speculation for me just logic.
I know what speculation is, but your original post stated as fact - and I quote “ Dyche cost us the win on saturday with his refusal to make changes earlier on in the game” That’s speculation as you’ve no idea what might have happened.

Anyway we’re going round in circles, we drew, end of. We’ll never know what would have happened if he’d used subs earlier - we might have won, drawn or lost but to state “he cost us a win” simply isn’t correct.
AjaxAndy
Posts: 837
Karma: 301

Re: Dyche

Post

Kerryblueboy wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:19 am How can you say Patterson will dive in when young got sent off already plus booked 3 times for diving in
At least if Young dives in he takes the player if he doesn't get the ball... Patterson does neither.

I like Patterson, bringing him on against an ever increasingly influencial Mitoma would have been potentially disastrous though.

Mind you I could see an argument for Patterson coming on for Harrison though to double up on Mitoma.
TheRam
Posts: 911
Karma: 666

Re: Dyche

Post

Patterson did well when he came on.

Young was cooked which caused his lack of reaction to the cross by mitoma.

Something should have changed on that flank.
Kerryblueboy
Posts: 458
Karma: 90

Re: Dyche

Post

Young should only be a squad player at this stage in his career we invested money in Patterson and he should be playing imo what’s going to happen when Seamus is fully fit does Patterson become third choice
Silas
User avatar
Posts: 81
Karma: 19

Re: Dyche

Post

For whatever reason Dyche trusts Young despite the fact he's want. It's one of his few blindspots but every manager has one when it comes to team selection. Also can't remember many managers we've had being massively proactive with subs. Are many managers though particularly when one up? Would imagine most would be Conservative and leave things as they are.
AjaxAndy
Posts: 837
Karma: 301

Re: Dyche

Post

Kerryblueboy wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:10 am Young should only be a squad player at this stage in his career we invested money in Patterson and he should be playing imo what’s going to happen when Seamus is fully fit does Patterson become third choice
I think it depends on the game. No manager so far has trusted Patterson which is telling.

He needs game time, there's no doubt about that... But to develop youth you have to sacrifice points which is something we can't afford to do.

Play him, but play him in the right games so he can develop without errors being too costly.

Obviously Young is shit so it feels more of a pressing situation to play Patterson because he's not Young, but not being Young isn't reason alone to play him.
Shogun
User avatar
Posts: 2502
Karma: 1126

Re: Dyche

Post

Obviously a good day but...

Needs to either trust players more or develop another way of playing that doesn't make them liabilities. Harrison is constantly flagging after 75 minutes because of the amount of work he's putting in and McNeil doesn't have a chance to affect the match at the other end of the pitch because of the same reason.

Thought Beto did alright when he came on tbf but matches like that needs Danjuma and Beto to be able to come on and give the opposition something to think about rather than just letting them pile on.
Bluedylan1
Posts: 1123
Karma: 913

Re: Dyche

Post

Doing well in a difficult situation with limited resources.

Having said that, I'm never going to warm to a manager who tries to play so little football. I find it super hard to watch. Just personal preference.

I can still imagine him saying in 18 months ''there's lots of energy and togetherness and in time, we'd like to add a bit more football to the mix, but there's no substitute for graft and organisation and these fans will not tolerate players who don't work hard'' (or some similar variation of that).

He's fine for the position we find ourselves in at the moment.
blueforyou
Posts: 236
Karma: 22

Re: Dyche

Post

He's getting the best out of these players and has a steady 1st XI

From the bench, difficult to trust Patterson, Godfrey, Keane; Dobbin, Danjuma, Beto, Chermiti, useful for the last quarter...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic