Ashley "not so" Young

This is the new NSNO Everton forum to discuss the Mighty Blues
Bluedylan1

Re: Ashley "not so" Young

Dyche has done really well overall, so this isn't a hit job on him but his handling of Young and the RB slot is one of his major flaws as a manager. Very old school and very conservative in his thinking.

The old school thinking is that you can rely on players who used to be a decent attacker, if they are hard working, to eventually be a full back and ''do a job'' for you there. But that outlook kinda belongs to the 80s and 90s.

In the modern game, full back is one of the most important, dynamic positions on the pitch who can completely dictate and impact the way the whole team plays. Dyche is very much stuck in the old traditions with that.
Shogun

Bluedylan1 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:16 pm Dyche has done really well overall, so this isn't a hit job on him but his handling of Young and the RB slot is one of his major flaws as a manager. Very old school and very conservative in his thinking.

The old school thinking is that you can rely on players who used to be a decent attacker, if they are hard working, to eventually be a full back and ''do a job'' for you there. But that outlook kinda belongs to the 80s and 90s.

In the modern game, full back is one of the most important, dynamic positions on the pitch who can completely dictate and impact the way the whole team plays. Dyche is very much stuck in the old traditions with that.
Nail on the head. In a world where full backs are playing as inverted midfielders, we've got a 38 year old winger doing a job. It's the most important area on the pitch and as much as Patterson may (I'm arguing it compared to Young) be a liability, he's completely suited to the modern fullback role.
Cozzie

Ask yourself this.

People saying Patto isn't ready or a liability defensively, then what the absolute fuck is Young?

Horrendous at the back, just as bad going forward, 38...

Just fucking play Patterson from the off, at least he attacks well.
Audrey Horne

Worst player we have ever had

Pointless really as he will be playing next week
Shogun

Audrey Horne wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:26 pm Worst player we have ever had

The 35 year old might be in next week
Audrey Horne

Shogun wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:27 pm
Audrey Horne wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:26 pm Worst player we have ever had

The 35 year old might be in next week

I’d be surprised

Can’t believe I’m begging for Coleman back

Absolute travesty the RB situation
Cods

Fine to criticise, but there has to be a viable alternative.

It's not like we're flushed with options or cash, so I'm not sure what the options were. And he can fill a handful of roles.

If Patterson is superior to Young in the same way Branthwaite is to Keane/Godfrey then we'll see the same thing happen.
Bluedylan1

If he's not going to play Patterson, I think you could play Garner there. I would prefer a good RB but from our options he's probably best suited. He's a substandard midfielder, but he should offer enough at right back to provide a few crosses and retain the ball relatively well. Throw in the odd tackle, work hard etc.
Gash

I'd rather see Patterson have a game like that and use it to learn from than Young continually fucking up despite about a billion top flight games and being 38 years old.
blueforyou

I'd prefer Godfrey to Young...
blueforyou

...has to be dropped
Bob Sacamano

There’s no upside to playing this idiot. At least with Patterson you have the possible improvement from playing some actual minutes. He’s not going to get any better sat in the bench watching Young cost us points.
Stumpy

He has to be dropped, simple as that.
I was pissed off when we signed him and he's done the square root of jack shit to change my mind.
I honestly never want to see him in the team again
Audrey Horne

Cods wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:14 pm Fine to criticise, but there has to be a viable alternative.

It's not like we're flushed with options or cash, so I'm not sure what the options were. And he can fill a handful of roles.

If Patterson is superior to Young in the same way Branthwaite is to Keane/Godfrey then we'll see the same thing happen.

Totally disagree cods!

He has potentially cost us 6 points already ….

Ok we may not have won the derby or today but both games he makes defeat a dead cert

He is supposed to be a mature, all rounded player, won a lot, played in huge teams etc

And yet, he is a lazy arrogant knob head. He makes half arsed tackles resulting in cards and a penalty today.

It’s abysmal. And it’s unforgivable now. He must be dropped from the team.

You say there is no alternative, but he is literally gifting the opposition points now.

Playing a youngster to learn the role is much better - more forgiving. Patterson has scope to improve but Young will retire next year. It’s again another pay cheque from
Silly old Everton.
Stumpy

Audrey Horne wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:05 pm
Cods wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:14 pm Fine to criticise, but there has to be a viable alternative.

Totally disagree cods!

He has potentially cost us 6 points already ….

Ok we may not have won the derby or today but both games he makes defeat a dead cert

He is supposed to be a mature, all rounded player, won a lot, played in huge teams etc

And yet, he is a lazy arrogant knob head. He makes half arsed tackles resulting in cards and a penalty today.

It’s abysmal. And it’s unforgivable now. He must be dropped from the team.

You say there is no alternative, but he is literally gifting the opposition points now.

Playing a youngster to learn the role is much better - more forgiving. Patterson has scope to improve but Young will retire next year. It’s again another pay cheque from
Silly old Everton.
Great post liz
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic