Ashley "not so" Young

This is the new NSNO Everton forum to discuss the Mighty Blues
Cozzie

Ashley "not so" Young

Good lord.

Only silver lining is that he won't be in the squad for West Ham.

Might he a daft knee jerk shout but I reckon he's up there, maybe top 5 as one of our worst ever signings.

Free or not he's rubbish at absolutely everything.

Utter shite isn't he?
Shogun

Re: Ashley "not so" Young

Almost as good as Ashley "fucking" Young ;)

But yeah, he's a rubbish defender.

I get the angle that we wanted to bring in an experienced player on a free and hopefully not too much in terms of wages... However I don't know how Young has managed to blag people that he's a full back now.

He spent the majority of his career as a winger. He went to Inter and played as a wing-back. Then suddenly he's back in England as a full back which is arguably the most demanding position on the pitch. The bloke is never a defender and he's definitely not a 'safe pair of hands' in that position.
Blueomar

Dyche must really not rate Nate.
Cozzie

Omar wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:03 pm Dyche must really not rate Nate.
The hate for Nate is real!

Although I think it's plain to see he is still very raw but will become a good player.

Dyche has, by accident, stumbled upon a great midfield 3 of Garner, Onana and Doucoure.

My worry is, with Gueye back, he'll chuck him back in and put Garner at right back.

Much rather he just have it to Patto, at least he has something about him going forward, Young doesn't even have that.
Silas

He's obviously past it which I could live with if Dyche didn't want to start him every game
blueforyou

Trashley for the bin
Audrey Horne

I really really dislike him

Didn’t we get him in for his maturity, an experienced player for the team etc

He is the least mature out of the lot !! Gets booked every fucking game in the first 20 mins

Was fucking fuming in the derby but knew he would go. Horrid player
Bornblue88

It’s a transfer that made perfect sense on paper but my god he’s been terrible
CannockPricey

A genuinely really odd signing. At 38, I thought the big danger was that his legs would be gone but actually that hasn't really been the problem. Seems positionally all over the shop, quite hot headed as said above and his dead balls gave no evidence at all of a two decade long professional career. It was like he'd never taken one before, every time.

I didn't mind the theory behind the signing. Cheap, short term option who could plug a few gaps and help bring on some younger players. It just hasn't panned out that way.
Gary1878

I think Patterson will really benefit from extended game time.

He looked a little bit lost on what to do with Paqueta at times who is a top player, but he will only get better with more experiences like that.

He might not have the same potential as Branthwaite, but you only have to see what a full season of playing can do for a young player.

Stick with him through thick and thin for this season and will should benefit from a better player at the end of it.
AjaxAndy

Young was free and covers both right and left back... and as crap as he's been, I'd still MUCH rather see him there than Godfrey.

We weren't getting any better than this given the zero transfer fee we had available, it's a symptom of where we are as a club. Kind of just need to accept he's here short term (hopefully) and keeps Godfrey out of the team.
Shogun

I don't think he's an improvement on Godfrey at full back tbh.

Anyway, the issue is that he's a starter. If he was genuinely behind both Mykolenko and Patto then it wouldn't be an issue.

Tbf to Dyche though, he's now benched Gana and Keane despite originally and wrongly thinking they were the right option. Hopefully Young has a similar fate.
Kerryblueboy

Shouldn’t be a starter anymore Patterson while still raw defensively has way more potential and pace needs to be left in the team for a spell
Cozzie

Whilst Patterson showed V West Ham that he is still raw defensively, he still gives you something going forward.

Young offered neither.
AjaxAndy

Shogun wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:52 pm I don't think he's an improvement on Godfrey at full back tbh.

Anyway, the issue is that he's a starter. If he was genuinely behind both Mykolenko and Patto then it wouldn't be an issue.

Tbf to Dyche though, he's now benched Gana and Keane despite originally and wrongly thinking they were the right option. Hopefully Young has a similar fate.
At right back he absolutely is, I think it's debatable at left back though tbf.

Godfrey is absolutely horrific at RB for some reason. Many shades shitter than Young.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic