Andre Gomes

This is the new NSNO Everton forum to discuss the Mighty Blues
brap2

Re: Andre Gomes

Mad to me that, I enjoy watching him. Not going to go over the top and say he's blowing me away, but he's actually taking the ball, passing it around the pitch, moving it across the front of the opposition box, finding McNeil into feet.

I would LOVE him to burst through the midfield like prime yaya and win the game himself but number one, he's still a kid, and number two, dyche doesn't really want his players running with the ball like that. He wants it spread out wide to the channels or to McNeil.

He's a good (not great) passer, he's a great defensive player and he stands out like a sore thumb quality wise and how comfortable he is taking the ball.

Agree one day he could be unbelievable, and that day isn't today, but when you see him get shit I just think Jesus Christ can you see the football they are playing out there and this guy is the one you pick?

Then again a lot of our fans don't like Gana either, love Garner, reckon Gomes is the key. It's hard. Who knows.
Evertonfc15

gomez - cool calm on the ball - nothing fancy just hangs in there and supports our midfield with experience and skill
starts every game - until he gets injured again
Mistertonblue

Another one of our players who is more suited as a sub when the opposition are probably more tired so his lack of of pace and fitness isn't as exposed.

That said I'd be very tempted to start him ahead of Doucoure tomorrow.
crackling

It's a bit pointless buying young players with potential if people just want them to play at a steady level every game. Might as well buy more Garners if that's what most of our fan base want.
brap2

I hear Gomes was alright at the weekend
Kerryblueboy

crackling wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:16 pm It's a bit pointless buying young players with potential if people just want them to play at a steady level every game. Might as well buy more Garners if that's what most of our fan base want.
Onana would never have come here if dyche had been manager it was the one good thing frank had his name and record in the league helped us get him but we deffo won’t be seeing anymore like this under dyche
MmmBlueBranthwaite

brap2 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:05 pm I hear Gomes was alright at the weekend
Until he got carded. Fair play to him for keeping his cool. Faded badly near the end which was to be expected
Farming karma like the Dalai Llama
AjaxAndy

Kerryblueboy wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:37 pm Onana would never have come here if dyche had been manager it was the one good thing frank had his name and record in the league helped us get him but we deffo won’t be seeing anymore like this under dyche
Plus we won't be able to spend £35m on a young player, or any player for that matter so Dyche isn't really the deciding factor here.
Kerryblueboy

It isn’t 35 million down like football manager I’d say barely 5 down plus rest over a period of time we can still structure deals where not much is down at the start like Beto and chermiti but hopefully better
AjaxAndy

Kerryblueboy wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:37 pm It isn’t 35 million down like football manager I’d say barely 5 down plus rest over a period of time we can still structure deals where not much is down at the start like Beto and chermiti but hopefully better
I get that but I still don't think we'll be buying anyone for anywhere near £35m... All transfers are spread over the length of the contract and we start paying for Beto and need to bring in quite a few bodies in the summer... It all adds up, and most money we get from player sales will be swallowed up by debt and to appease PSR.

And the Beto deal shows exactly what the market is like for no initial outlay, and if we bring in more players of his standard we'll sink without a trace.
Big Nevs Vaz

I wouldn’t go as far as to say that I am a convert but fair dues to this lad.
He has stepped in when needed with a few decent cameos. He showed for the ball off the back 4 and was a steadying presence yesterday and released some pressure when Forest were building up a bit of a head of steam. I won’t linger on the dead balls but he’s more than fine in beside Gana and Doucoure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Paddockoldie

I wasn't that impressed myself. When he's on the ball he's okay. Off the ball he looks ploddy, nowhere near an opposition player. There was one point in the game when they were attacking and was marking nobody, not even near one. Overall, he disappoints more than wows
Bluedylan1

I think he had a decent game, and did basically what he does. Looked decent on the ball, showed a nice range of passing to keep the ball moving, and didn't offer much defensive responsibility and left a lot of the work to Gana.

I think there's definitely a role for him in certain games at home, against weaker opposition where you want to use the ball more, but I wouldn't fancy him away from home or against a very energetic pressing team. We were fortunate Forest stood off us quite a bit.
StirlingBlue

Bluedylan1 wrote:I think he had a decent game, and did basically what he does. Looked decent on the ball, showed a nice range of passing to keep the ball moving, and didn't offer much defensive responsibility and left a lot of the work to Gana.

I think there's definitely a role for him in certain games at home, against weaker opposition where you want to use the ball more, but I wouldn't fancy him away from home or against a very energetic pressing team. We were fortunate Forest stood off us quite a bit.
Not just Gana, I noticed that Doucoure was dropping a lot deeper out of possession to pick up the slack.

Almost like Gomes was just sitting as a CM and Doucoure was a DM out of possession and AM in possession. We really asked a lot of Doucoure yesterday but given how poor he is on the ball it’s probably a good idea.

Can’t help but picture how much better we would have been this season with Barkley in the 10 spot.
Jimmywhack

Thought Gomes did well yesterday
However, I never want to see him on a corner or a crossed free kick again
Champagne lifestyle, Lemonade wages
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic