Ben Godfrey

This is the new NSNO Everton forum to discuss the Mighty Blues
UnsyisaRhino

Re: Ben Godfrey

AjaxAndy wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:04 pm He had some really unique skills for a CB, just needed to be coached on the rest... You can teach positioning but you can't teach pure raw pace and physical attributes.

Was a promising signing and worth the fee imo, circumstances have meant it's been a dud transfer but there was a lot of logic in his signing.
Same with gbamin honestly, there's no way we could have predicted those injuries and it totally ruined him as a player.

We really have had some shit luck to go with our shit decisions.
Shogun

He's still a shocking player for me and two matches where he hasn't made a mistake doesn't change that. I think that last thing this team needs is another player who can't kick a ball.
Big Nevs Vaz

AjaxAndy wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:04 pm He had some really unique skills for a CB, just needed to be coached on the rest... You can teach positioning but you can't teach pure raw pace and physical attributes.

Was a promising signing and worth the fee imo, circumstances have meant it's been a dud transfer but there was a lot of logic in his signing.
I just cant see beyond a defender who isn't very good at lots of basic things like heading and passing the ball, reading the play. He's got qualities but just not enough to make it at the top level. Not his fault that he has landed at Disfunctional FC during the formative years of his career but not sure good coaching would have improved him hugely.
AjaxAndy

Big Nevs Vaz wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:32 pm I just cant see beyond a defender who isn't very good at lots of basic things like heading and passing the ball, reading the play. He's got qualities but just not enough to make it at the top level. Not his fault that he has landed at Disfunctional FC during the formative years of his career but not sure good coaching would have improved him hugely.
He was only 21 I think when we signed him, he had plenty of scope and time to develop. Sadly that didn't happen, but he was a very promising young player when we signed him.
Trowel

Cods

TheRam wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:46 pm Let’s not forget how many mistakes Keane has made as well.

I think Godfrey is a much better option now.

I don’t think Keane is good at anything other than ability on the ball. He’s completely finished, Godfrey at least looks like a player who can offer us something.
Yeah I was pre-empting the usual 'Keane mistakes' and amateur psychology pile ons by raising it. :)

The mistakes Godfrey has made are less obvious but similar in number, and the way we have to play to accommodate his lack of positional awareness and blind alley running still makes me think Keane is the better and more suitable player.

Godfrey's less of a footballer than anyone in the squad. Offers absolutely nothing going forward or with the ball, which Keane actually is one of the best in our squad at, creating and actually sometimes scoring. We need footballers, we've not got many, keeping Godfrey instead of Keane as second choice still seems backwards to me.

Ultimately comes down to keeping hold of Jarrad, and Tarkowski fit.
Cods

For balance (and maybe being a bit flippant), but you'd have to teach ability on the ball, awareness, passing, positioning, team transition and movement, pretty much anything football related. We might as well teach Usain Bolt or equivalent how to play.
Shogun

Trowel wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:20 pm
If this was for actual money then terrible decision
Jamokachi

brap2 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:48 amNeither does this
Haha, I don't think he will either... just adding to the list of misfortune he's experienced here.
Jamokachi

Shogun wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:21 pm If this was for actual money then terrible decision
Not if we can't bring anyone in. Squad is paper thin.
Shogun

Jamokachi wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:25 pm Not if we can't bring anyone in. Squad is paper thin.
May as well bring Holgate back as a 4th CB, he'd rarely be used. Got 2 RBs in the squad and Young masquerading as a fullback on either side.

If we've rejected money then that's a poor one.
Jamokachi

Shogun wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:27 pm May as well bring Holgate back as a 4th CB, he'd rarely be used. Got 2 RBs in the squad and Young masquerading as a fullback on either side.

If we've rejected money then that's a poor one.
As I said earlier in the thread, his versatility makes him more valuable than Keane and our fullbacks have all had injury issues this season. I've no issue with this. I doubt the money would be made available to spend and it probably wouldn't touch the sides when it comes to the bigger financial issues at the club.
cassius

How did he do yesterday? I heard he had a decent game before going off injured?
Escla

cassius wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:45 pm How did he do yesterday? I heard he had a decent game before going off injured?
I would say pretty decent, went off with cramp according to Dyche .
UnsyisaRhino

cassius wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:45 pm How did he do yesterday? I heard he had a decent game before going off injured?
Played well. Obviously not a true right back, and anytime he takes more than two touches you can see the panic starting to set in, but he was effective.

Made his usual last ditch signature tackle, I couldn't see if that was because he was caught out or not, but he did well to get back to the cross regardless.
Last edited by UnsyisaRhino on Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic