Ben Godfrey

This is the new NSNO Everton forum to discuss the Mighty Blues
Gary1878

Re: Ben Godfrey

Really surprised by Godfrey and how well he has done in the 2 games he has been involved.

His positioning for one of the clearances yesterday was outstanding and he has much better athletic ability over someone like Keane.

I do think there is a player there that we can coach into form. It might take some time but he has a lot of really good attributes. He has unfortunately been a victim of how poorly run we have been as a club in the last few years, but with some consistently coaching, he might yet turn out to be ok.

At this point in time, he is better placed to be in a 3 or at full back as cover. But over time, who knows.
brap2

He's been here for nearly 4 years and we're saying give him time
superpull

brap2 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:26 am He's been here for nearly 4 years and we're saying give him time
To be fair, that Long-Covid isn't too different from CFS and he was utterly wiped out by it. Definitely lost 2 years to a serious health-condition there.
TheRam

And played under four different managers.

We’ve not given him the right environment to show what he can offer.
Jamokachi

... broke his leg too
Kerryblueboy

Jesus everyone suddenly got amnesia
brap2

superpull wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:28 am To be fair, that Long-Covid isn't too different from CFS and he was utterly wiped out by it. Definitely lost 2 years to a serious health-condition there.
This does not make me think he is more likely to come good
brap2

Jamokachi wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:42 am ... broke his leg too
Neither does this
brap2

TheRam wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:39 am And played under four different managers.

We’ve not given him the right environment to show what he can offer.

Nor this
Big Nevs Vaz

Fair play to him for stepping in and doing a job last night.
We paid over 25 million for the lad and it has proven to be another poor decision.
He's had bad luck but he just doesn't have the basic skills to go near to justifying that fee.
More cripplingly poor recruitment.
TheRam

I’m giving him a fresh start.

Starts over Patterson at right back all day for me.

Let Young play on the wings or full back when he’s needed. He’s good in that role
brap2

I'd like him out of the door but it would be good vibes if he could turn it around sure.

Patto, if Ben Godfrey takes his position he's fully done and should go back to Scotland.
Gash

TheRam wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:05 pm I’m giving him a fresh start.

Starts over Patterson at right back all day for me.

Let Young play on the wings or full back when he’s needed. He’s good in that role
Not sure about any of that, when Patterson came on he was constantly telling Godfrey to cover him and track the runner which he didn't. Almost looked like Godfrey thought we'd gone five at the back and was playing more central and they got quite a bit of joy down that side because of it.

Jury's out on Patterson at the moment but he's not 4th choice behind Coleman, Young and Godfrey. Jury's out on Godfrey too, I get the reasons people are giving for his stalled development and agree with them but there's a lot of recency bias going on at the moment with him. I was big fan when he first arrived but it always seems to happen with him, he has one good game and people think we've got peak Rio Ferdinand on our hands.
Gary1878

I’m neither saying start him or sell him. But he does look a lot more useful under Dyche than he has done under anyone else.

This really is a case of give him a bit of time and room under a good defensive coach (and good defensive players) to develop. We need a squad capable of doing different things, and he does offer a different options in terms of formation and cover at FB.
AjaxAndy

Big Nevs Vaz wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:59 am Fair play to him for stepping in and doing a job last night.
We paid over 25 million for the lad and it has proven to be another poor decision.
He's had bad luck but he just doesn't have the basic skills to go near to justifying that fee.
More cripplingly poor recruitment.
He had some really unique skills for a CB, just needed to be coached on the rest... You can teach positioning but you can't teach pure raw pace and physical attributes.

Was a promising signing and worth the fee imo, circumstances have meant it's been a dud transfer but there was a lot of logic in his signing.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic