Ben Godfrey

This is the new NSNO Everton forum to discuss the Mighty Blues
Cereal Killer

Ben Godfrey

Who’s he again?

The rumour mill randomly has Spurs showing interest in signing him in January…

Form a queue to drive him down to London
Toddacelli

Re: Ben Godfrey

“Boxer in shinnies” is still one of my favourite ever quotes from NSNO (courtesy of @brap2), but I have a lot of time for him. That long COVID is some nasty shit and should not be underestimated as others on her can, sadly, attest. It may have ruined him for elite level sport.
777Kidnappings

Toddacelli wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:22 pm “Boxer in shinnies” is still one of my favourite ever quotes from NSNO (courtesy of @brap2), but I have a lot of time for him. That long COVID is some nasty shit and should not be underestimated as others on her can, sadly, attest. It may have ruined him for elite level sport.

That and him being a really poor defender
bigmanbob

Obviously not gunna get a game under Dyche, so get some money for him
Gash

Fiarly good game in the end, thought he was pretty poor to start but gained in confidence as the game went on. Poor positionally at times but made a vital interception towards the end.
Jamokachi

Don't think we can afford to let him go with how thin our squad is. He's a worse CB but his versatility makes him more valuable than Keane.
AjaxAndy

Great interception when he chased back and slide it away, almost carbon copy of earlier in the season when he did the same thing.

I thought he looked decent overall, but they got in a fair few times down that side second half and I couldn't tell if that was Godfrey or Young at fault, or even Garner not tracking... Or just good play.

So yeah, not sure what to make of it tbh, but think maybe he was decent?
American Evertonian

AjaxAndy wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:46 pm Great interception when he chased back and slide it away, almost carbon copy of earlier in the season when he did the same thing.

I thought he looked decent overall, but they got in a fair few times down that side second half and I couldn't tell if that was Godfrey or Young at fault, or even Garner not tracking... Or just good play.

So yeah, not sure what to make of it tbh, but think maybe he was decent?
Did enough for me to cement himself as our best CB following Tarky and Branthwaite. Think he did a solid job today without having gotten many minutes this season. Especially with us only having one natural CM in front of him.
Feed the Yak!
TheRam

Should be the starting right back imo.

Those recovery challenges he makes are fantastic.

He’s always done well at full back for us and I’d be happy with him playing CB if there’s an injury.
Cods

If we're judging centre backs by how they make last ditch saving tackles, ok, but any and every other thing except pace, Keane is better at, at least in a head to head comparison. Maybe pace was needed today, horses for courses. Passing, heading, vision, creativity, positional sense, every other measure Keane is better. And if mistakes is to be mentioned, let's not forget how many mistakes that led to goals that Godfrey was responsible for, the last time he had a regular run in the team.
brap2

I don't know about the one today, but the last time he made an incredible recovery it was because he was fast asleep and let his man get a 5 yard head start into the box before he clocked him.
TheRam

Cods wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:39 pm If we're judging centre backs by how they make last ditch saving tackles, ok, but any and every other thing except pace, Keane is better at, at least in a head to head comparison. Maybe pace was needed today, horses for courses. Passing, heading, vision, creativity, positional sense, every other measure Keane is better. And if mistakes is to be mentioned, let's not forget how many mistakes that led to goals that Godfrey was responsible for, the last time he had a regular run in the team.
Let’s not forget how many mistakes Keane has made as well.

I think Godfrey is a much better option now.

I don’t think Keane is good at anything other than ability on the ball. He’s completely finished, Godfrey at least looks like a player who can offer us something.
Juanito

Would much rather play Godfrey than Keane - I get a sense that Godfrey could improve with a run of games and alongside an experienced head like Tarks. Keane will psychologically implode every other game.
Kerryblueboy

No way he should be starting right back third choice centre back yeah not right back the reason he makes last ditch interceptions is because he is usually caught out of position
AjaxAndy

Godfrey is better for us in a back 3 than Keane, but in a back 4 I'd have Keane over Godfrey every time.

Also Godfrey can't play RB, he wasn't playing it last night really, we seemed to have a hybrid 3-4-3 / 4-4-1-1 so it meant he wasn't really a full back... He's played RB before and has been shocking there. He had some good games at LB under Ancelotti but also some horror shows. Should be an emergency full back at best, and I'd have Coleman, Patterson and Young ahead of him out there.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic