Jags - Retired

This is the new NSNO Everton forum to discuss the Mighty Blues
Cantoffee

Jags - Retired

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C0MtReJs ... VjZGVmZQ==

Love him, brilliant centreback. Don't think we've had a better one in terms of longevity, talent, and overall contribution to the club since I've been watching (early 2000s).
Shogun

Re: Jags - Retired

Yeah, absolutely brilliant CB. Like a lot of playing during the Moyes era, criminally underrated outside of Everton. Definitely my top 5 Everton players in the PL years.
Bluebridge

Right up there, we were once blessed with great centre backs. Hopefully Jarrod turns out to be the next.
Paddockoldie

I remember when we signed him as a DM... stunk the place out. Found his true position and played with distinction. Great Evertonian
Kerryblueboy

Proper defender great leader might have been small for a centre half but made up for it with his pace and reading of the game great player
Bluedylan1

Great player and pro for us. His first season as captain was when we got 72 points. A reminder of a better time. I won't miss his long diagonals into the first few rows of the crowd, but that's a very minor negative for an otherwise excellent player.
StirlingBlue

Did he have a team this year?

I honestly thought he’d retired at the end of last season
Shogun

StirlingBlue wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:11 am Did he have a team this year?

Said he was still looking for a team when he was a pundit during the Sheffield United match. Should have had a word with Dyche considering our 3rd and 4th choice CBs at the moment
Gash

What a great player he was for us and all round decent person. Considering he'd had an ACL injury in the past it's a sign of how well he looked after himself that he still managed 26 starts last season for Stoke at the age of 40.

Deserved to win a trophy or two like many players we had back in his day, it'll always be a blot on the club and Moyes that we didn't win some silverware with the team we had.
Cantoffee

Shogun wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:20 am
StirlingBlue wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:11 am Did he have a team this year?

Said he was still looking for a team when he was a pundit during the Sheffield United match. Should have had a word with Dyche considering our 3rd and 4th choice CBs at the moment
Yea I was surprised he didn't find a team given that he was still a regular in the Championship last season. Maybe he didn't want to drop down to league 1, although he still could've been a squad player on a bottom half Championship team I'd think.

Crazy long career though, over 800 games is insane.
toffee_scot

Great player that reminds me of a bygone era when our defence used to be very solid.

Had a reputation as a utility player at Sheff Utd but thankfully made the centre back position his own.

Can’t really think of any other better defenders we’ve had in the last 20 years.
CannockPricey

Yeah, pretty much like everyone above. Was under appreciated everywhere bar here but what a player and hopefully he stays in the game in some capacity.
In a world full of adversity, we must still dare to dream.
CannockPricey

Coleman, Jags, Distin, Baines. What would you give for that back four now?
In a world full of adversity, we must still dare to dream.
Silas

We haven't come close to anyone his level since
Bob Sacamano

He did this thing once when Tim Howard was lobbed and it was a nailed on goal. But Jags tracked back and on the goal line and facing his own goal he did the deftest volley and looped it back over his shoulder and into the arms of Howard. It was one of the coolest, calmest and unflappable pieces of defending I’ve ever seen.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic