Just bad signings

Chat about football that isn't Everton in here
Bluedylan1

Re: Just bad signings

Nicolas Pepe. £72m a few seasons ago, now playing for Trabzonspor.
Goaljira

Shogun wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:03 pm
Stumpy wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:47 pm Kai havertz.
The money arsenal shelled out on him was insane
I will be amazed if it doesn't end in tears sooner rather than later.
Really bad. Thought it was mental that people were thinking Arteta would somehow make him a better player. Wasn't like he was bad for a little bit at Chelsea, he was rubbish the 3 years he was there.
Can't believe he was at Chelsea for three years? Thought he'd only been there one.
Goaljira

TheRam wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:46 pm Maybe not quite as bad as some of the names here but Casimero has been a horrendous piece of business for United and they were making out he was going to lead them to trophies last season.

He’s a pudding.
I was going to say he wasn't bad on a free. I had no idea they'd paid for him, and especially what the amount they did. Awful signing.
Goaljira

Tanguy Ndombélé should have been a good signing. Wasn't.

Naby Keita is the exception to the rule of buying young you'll get your money back even if they're shite.
weimaranerblues

Havertz did score and win the CL but yeah terrible just like Timo Werner
Stumpy

Bluedylan1 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:57 pm Nicolas Pepe. £72m a few seasons ago, now playing for Trabzonspor.
Oh yeah forgot about him.
Another bag of nothing for £72m
Shogun

One from back in the day... Juan Sebastian Veron. £28m and broke the English transfer record for Man United to sign him but never worked out there. Then went to Chelsea for £15m and that was even worse.
Brownie

Shogun wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:19 pm One from back in the day... Juan Sebastian Veron. £28m and broke the English transfer record for Man United to sign him but never worked out there. Then went to Chelsea for £15m and that was even worse.
Think he only had one good game for United - typically against us. I’m sure he scored too in a 4-1 win
Cozzie

Saido Berahino from West Brom to Stoke.

Still laugh that Saido held out just so he could secure his "dream move" to Stoke.
Cozzie

Danny Drinkwater to Chelsea for whatever it was they paid for him has to be up there.

Apparently a total gobshite as well.
blueforyou

So bad they named him twice...

Djemba Djemba - even Fergie had his share of bad signings!
wepull

Moyes have had a fair share of that at West Ham, all attacking players and spent about 100m+ on this lot and still ends up playing Antonio on top.

Haller
Vlasic
Scamacca

I am sure we can fill this thread with our players from the last decade too
MayorFarnham

Chris Sutton to Chelsea.
toffee_scot

Cozzie wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:57 pm Saido Berahino from West Brom to Stoke.

Still laugh that Saido held out just so he could secure his "dream move" to Stoke.
He had that one good season at West Brom and then it all went on the decline. Now playing in Cyprus.

As for other bad signings:

- Alexis Sanchez for Man Utd was really awful business even though he’d been good for Arsenal.
- Kepa for Chelsea - I have a friend who was living in the north of Spain and he said the locals were absolutely shocked at the amount that he was being sold for as they didn’t particularly rate him highly.
- Newcastle - Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa, a central defender with four caps for France but was really bad, I remember one game he was awful against Everton, he was subbed off at half time after they had conceded 3 goals.
Shogun

toffee_scot wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:04 pm
Cozzie wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:57 pm Saido Berahino from West Brom to Stoke.

He had that one good season at West Brom and then it all went on the decline. Now playing in Cyprus.

As for other bad signings:

- Alexis Sanchez for Man Utd was really awful business even though he’d been good for Arsenal.
- Kepa for Chelsea - I have a friend who was living in the north of Spain and he said the locals were absolutely shocked at the amount that he was being sold for as they didn’t particularly rate him highly.
- Newcastle - Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa, a central defender with four caps for France but was really bad, I remember one game he was awful against Everton, he was subbed off at half time after they had conceded 3 goals.
It's actually mental how much Alexis Sanchez fell off immediately upon signing for Man United. Genuinely one of the best players in the league at the time.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic