Thelwell talking strategy

This is the new NSNO Everton forum to discuss the Mighty Blues
Gash

Re: Thelwell talking strategy

Cods wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:39 pm I remember you commenting on both.

I'm not sure where you thought he could go in the derby, as it would have been an instant loss against 4. He did well to actually do Robertson twice, and almost win a handball off Diaz.

Garner chases back to win the ball from Jones, the ball ricochets forward to Harrison.

48m03s : Jones on Harrison's hammer on his inside, has Harrison for pace, McAllister free and approaching from the centre, Robertson covering the line at left back, and one of the two centre backs (Van Dyk) moving towards Harrison whilst the other CB looked after Dom. Not one blue shirt within 20+ yards except for Garner who was back behind the half way line (and covered by the closing Diaz), and Dom at the top of the box, the only other player in our half.

Hope you appreciate the artwork, enough to avoid a copyright strike. lol

Screenshot_20240430_230628_Gallery.jpg

And earlier in the 2nd half, at 45m41s McNeil did exactly the same thing when confronted with almost a mirror image of the Harrison play after Gana won it in midfield, 4 on 1, as the commentator makes note of the clear plan of "McNeil, prioritising holding onto possession" and turning back rather than attacking the line. So fair to say its as much instruction from Dyche as anything else.
I wasn't talking about the specific time four players were on him, I was talking about times in that game and numerous other times this season he's had a chance to take someone on, looked like a rabbit in the headlights and either lost the ball, fallen over or put his foot on the ball and roll it backwards or sideways. He runs around a lot and has plenty energy but I've rarely seen a winger be so reluctant to take a man on and try to get past him.

Don't take up anything to do with art to make a living. :)
Cods

Gash wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:15 pm I wasn't talking about the specific time four players were on him, I was talking about times in that game and numerous other times this season he's had a chance to take someone on, looked like a rabbit in the headlights and either lost the ball, fallen over or put his foot on the ball and roll it backwards or sideways. He runs around a lot and has plenty energy but I've rarely seen a winger be so reluctant to take a man on and try to get past him.

Don't take up anything to do with art to make a living. :)
Righto. It's just that your comment in the match thread was made at the exact minute that passage of play happened and was specific to Harrison not going for the line, so 1+1=... I was going to question it at the time but didn't. Anyway...

I don't think his true position is as a winger based upon what he does best, I think he belongs behind the striker as his pressing and awareness and ability to play someone in rivals anything we've got bar maybe McNeil, but that's an aside.

And don't knock my artistic prowess, it took time and effort and quite frankly is effin beyond reproach, ok? :whistle:
Cods

brap2 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:09 pmLooks off to me
Parallax error mate, he's 6'2" don't forget, and was probably practicing his leap. :?
Gash

Cods wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:42 am Righto. It's just that your comment in the match thread was made at the exact minute that passage of play happened and was specific to Harrison not going for the line, so 1+1=... I was going to question it at the time but didn't. Anyway...

I don't think his true position is as a winger based upon what he does best, I think he belongs behind the striker as his pressing and awareness and ability to play someone in rivals anything we've got bar maybe McNeil, but that's an aside.

And don't knock my artistic prowess, it took time and effort and quite frankly is effin beyond reproach, ok? :whistle:
I thank you have crossed wires, the comment I was refering to was during the Forest game, not the Liverpool game, I even commented a minute or so later when he did go to the byline and get a cross in. You're a bit desperate to make a point these days though, especially when you start watching back through a game trying to cross reference the timing of people's posts against the action on the pitch.
Audrey Horne

Cods wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:42 am Righto. It's just that your comment in the match thread was made at the exact minute that passage of play happened and was specific to Harrison not going for the line, so 1+1=... I was going to question it at the time but didn't. Anyway...
hahaha how do you know that!??
Cods

Gash wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:27 am

I thank you have crossed wires, the comment I was refering to was during the Forest game, not the Liverpool game, I even commented a minute or so later when he did go to the byline and get a cross in. You're a bit desperate to make a point these days though, especially when you start watching back through a game trying to cross reference the timing of people's posts against the action on the pitch.
This probably sounds confrontational yet isn't intended to be.

I know you were making comment about forest, and in general Harrison, both of which I wasn't disagreeing with or responding to, I'd actually said similar with some concession.

I was taking issue with your response to/paraphrasing of my post in this thread re the derby in regard to Harrison.

As I said, I'd also disagreed during the derby, was a bit shocked tbh about what you'd posted in that thread, as I'd just seen it too, yet completely differently, but let it go at the time. Since your response in this thread referenced it I had another look at the match thread post to make sure I wasn't misremembering it. My point being that the Harrison criticisms which are approaching boo boy levels probably need tempering (as do our expectations around who we might have in future 11s), and the examples and claims can do with scrutiny.

Hope you can see the artwork and gameclock shtick was an attempt at a bit of fun taking it to the nth (and not at your expense), but might not have translated and I'll wear that, along with being a bit narky.
Cods

Audrey Horne wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:38 am hahaha how do you know that!??
I'm not sure what you're asking Liz, maybe my last post clears it up?
Gash

Cods wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:57 pm This probably sounds confrontational yet isn't intended to be.

I know you were making comment about forest, and in general Harrison, both of which I wasn't disagreeing with or responding to, I'd actually said similar with some concession.

I was taking issue with your response to/paraphrasing of my post in this thread re the derby in regard to Harrison.

As I said, I'd also disagreed during the derby, was a bit shocked tbh about what you'd posted in that thread, as I'd just seen it too, yet completely differently, but let it go at the time. Since your response in this thread referenced it I had another look at the match thread post to make sure I wasn't misremembering it. My point being that the Harrison criticisms which are approaching boo boy levels probably need tempering (as do our expectations around who we might have in future 11s), and the examples and claims can do with scrutiny.

Hope you can see the artwork and gameclock shtick was an attempt at a bit of fun taking it to the nth (and not at your expense), but might not have translated and I'll wear that, along with being a bit narky.
Bloody hell, it's really not that important.
Audrey Horne

Cods wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:07 pm I'm not sure what you're asking Liz, maybe my last post clears it up?
Was asking how you knew the exact timings of Gash's post etc
Cods

Gash wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:33 pm Bloody hell, it's really not that important.
That's fine. :thumbs:
Cods

Audrey Horne wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:51 pm Was asking how you knew the exact timings of Gash's post etc
Because it was posted in the match thread during the game we were both watching and posting about at the time. Figuratively, not literally, but right after.
StirlingBlue

We should sign an actual RM who is right footed.

If we need a left footer as a rotation option for McNeil I’d be all over Doughty from Luton.

Probably cost under £10m, gives some much needed pace,set piece taker, only 25, low wages and can play both LB and LM
Cereal Killer

StirlingBlue wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:56 am We should sign an actual RM who is right footed.

If we need a left footer as a rotation option for McNeil I’d be all over Doughty from Luton.

Probably cost under £10m, gives some much needed pace,set piece taker, only 25, low wages and can play both LB and LM
No chance of under £10m when Championship midfielders are going for £20m+ without any PL experience
StirlingBlue

Cereal Killer wrote: No chance of under £10m when Championship midfielders are going for £20m+ without any PL experience
I think he might actually be out of contract in the summer, he signed a two year deal in 2022
brap2

Pace would be v useful, a direct runner who can hit shots.

Tbh sounds like gray under Benitez
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic