What is the highest you think we'll finish this season?

This is the new NSNO Everton forum to discuss the Mighty Blues

Highest Finish?

Compete for Europe (Top 7/8)
No votes
Top Half (8th-10th)
7%
Comfortably safe (11th-15th)
36%
Just safe (16th/17th)
46%
Relegated
11%

Total votes: 28

Shogun

What is the highest you think we'll finish this season?

Assuming there is no points deduction?

I actually think we have a pretty decent XI with the exception of the full-backs and can cause most teams trouble. The concern is that I think our team completely falls apart if Tarkowski and/or Branthwaite get injured.

I believe top 5 qualifies for CL this season, so I'm assuming that means 8th would be conference league? (Although we're winning both cups anyway ;) ) That's currently Man United with 15 points whilst we're on 10 points in 15th.

Realistically, I don't see us finishing above Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, Man United, Aston Villa, Brighton or Newcastle. Could we finish above West Ham or Brentford which would probably make us 10th? Possibly but I think comfortably safe is most likely for this season.
Cozzie

Re: What is the highest you think we'll finish this season?

Didn't realise 5th gets you CL? Must have missed that, why is that and is that a permanent thing from now on?

Went for 11-15th. I said before the season started I reckon 12th so sticking with that.
Shogun

Cozzie wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:47 pm Didn't realise 5th gets you CL? Must have missed that, why is that and is that a permanent thing from now on?

Went for 11-15th. I said before the season started I reckon 12th so sticking with that.
I might be wrong but I read that the leagues with two highest co-efficients (don't know if that is overall or just based on the previous season) will get an extra CL place automatically. Just a way for UEFA to make sure their favourites are in the competition every season.

Edit: According to wikipedia "The two associations who obtain the most coefficient points in the 2023–24 season will each have one extra spot into the league stage."
Cozzie

Shogun wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:48 pm
Cozzie wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:47 pm Didn't realise 5th gets you CL? Must have missed that, why is that and is that a permanent thing from now on?

I might be wrong but I read that the leagues with two highest co-efficients (don't know if that is overall or just based on the previous season) will get an extra CL place automatically. Just a way for UEFA to make sure their favourites are in the competition every season.
Ah...

Conveniently happened one season after Newcastle become state owned I see 🤔
AjaxAndy

I'm thinking 14th... Although we're doing well at the moment we'll not continue to pick up results if certain players get injured, as they invariably will do.

Without injuries 12th, maybe 11th would be potentially possible, but can't see us having luck in that department as we generally don't.
Cereal Killer

We’re in a mini-league of 6 shit teams, maybe we can top that and finish 15th. Would be some small progress
Robioto

I genuinely think we will be fine, technically safe by early April this year.

I think we have the best first 11 we've had in two years and more firepower too, especially when you include DCL being back at it.

Compared to our supposed rivals, we are ahead of all them in the forward, midfield, centre back and goalkeeper positions, with as Shogun said, the fullbacks and potential defensive depth being the only real concern.

We were competing with Leeds, Southampton and Leicester last season, all carried much more threat than the 3 which came up and we've got better on top of that. I think the rest of the season might actually be enjoyable at times compared to the dross of the last two years.

I'm optimistic.
superpull

We'll lose 5 on the bounce at some point and you will all be losing your heads and demanding a change of manager.

We're very fragile but we will stay up. We could even eat a 6 point deduction i think. Any more than that and we go down.

We will stay up just due to how bad other teams are. But Burnley and Bournemouth put a run together and it will be very close.
I'm now more worried about next year as at least 2 of the teams coming up will be significantly better than Sheff Utd and Luton
Gary1878

The highest we can finish is top half.

Where we will probably finish is comfortably safe bottom half. 13th/14th.
Goaljira

If all goes well and we can stay relatively injury free, then we could maybe get 14th. Any one of Pickford, Tarkowski, Branthwaite, Onana, Garner, Doucoure, Harrison, McNeill or DCL is lost for 6 weeks then we'll be struggling for 17th.
blueToffee

If there is a points deduction then clearly just surviving would be amazing going.

If there isn’t then…13th would be about the highest we could finish, which honestly would be impressive improvement from Dyche if he could achieve that given the basket case we were when he arrived. Anything that’s not a situation where we’re watching every one of the relegation candidates games hoping they drop points would feel like a big deal in terms of forward progress.

A long way to go though clearly and some tough games to come. Right now I’m just happy we’re playing with some degree of identity and competence again.
NickNack

Being mathematically safe from relegation with 5 or so games to go would do for me. Couldn’t care less about league position this season.
curro.uk

NickNack wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:42 pm Being mathematically safe from relegation with 5 or so games to go would do for me. Couldn’t care less about league position this season.
THIS! :)
Zoolander

Would be nice to get a comfortable mid table position during the season and then actually see us play without the fear for a bit
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic