Amadou Onana

This is the new NSNO Everton forum to discuss the Mighty Blues
Cantoffee

Re: Amadou Onana

Definitely not a better team without him.

Only player we have that consistently picks the ball up off the defence and turns upfield. Without him we go wide and can't break the lines or go long.

He has a long career at the top of the game ahead of him. He's only 22, will be a CL level player in the next couple years no doubt. Wish we were in a position to keep him but if we can get £60m for him we'll have done well.

More buys like him and we'll be a great position in a few years time.
Shogun

In terms of 'top' level football then Onana only had 1 season in Lille before he came here and then he's played under Frank vibes Lampard and now under Sean Dyche who isn't exactly known for allowing young players to show their quality on the ball even though he does have other strengths as a manager. Sometimes it feels like people expect him to be the finished article yet treat Garner, an older player than him, as a young lad just coming through.

I don't really care for Onana either way at this point but the criticism seems over the top. I wouldn't be surprised if he moves on and becomes a top Premier League CM and I wouldn't be surprised if he sat on the bench at a better side either.

I doubt he would play at all under Dyche if he was as 'lazy' or not bothered as people make out.
777Kidnappings

Shogun wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:39 pm In terms of 'top' level football then Onana only had 1 season in Lille before he came here and then he's played under Frank vibes Lampard and now under Sean Dyche who isn't exactly known for allowing young players to show their quality on the ball even though he does have other strengths as a manager. Sometimes it feels like people expect him to be the finished article yet treat Garner, an older player than him, as a young lad just coming through.

I don't really care for Onana either way at this point but the criticism seems over the top. I wouldn't be surprised if he moves on and becomes a top Premier League CM and I wouldn't be surprised if he sat on the bench at a better side either.

I doubt he would play at all under Dyche if he was as 'lazy' or not bothered as people make out.
Dyche dropped him and probably next option if he's not playing at all is gomes getting his minutes.
AjaxAndy

Do people compare Onana and Garner on socials? I don't go on X / Twitter but constantly on here see people talk about both in the same point a lot (I've done it too but only in response to this).

Just find it confusing as they're very different players who cost vastly different sums and have very different qualities.

Or is it just purely people seem to rate Garner really highly for some reason and not Onana?
TheRam

I don’t think many people rate garner that highly anymore.
Escla

Shogun wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:39 pm In terms of 'top' level football then Onana only had 1 season in Lille before he came here and then he's played under Frank vibes Lampard and now under Sean Dyche who isn't exactly known for allowing young players to show their quality on the ball even though he does have other strengths as a manager. Sometimes it feels like people expect him to be the finished article yet treat Garner, an older player than him, as a young lad just coming through.

Cracks me up this young lad just coming through bit.
Garner is exactly five months, 21 weeks older than Onana, in my book they are the same age at the same stage of development.
brap2

Escla wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 3:21 pm Cracks me up this young lad just coming through bit.
Garner is exactly five months, 21 weeks older than Onana, in my book they are the same age at the same stage of development.

And what stage is that
Escla

brap2 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:03 pm And what stage is that
The same stage
TheRam

Garner has played 15 games more than Onana across his career.

Both at the same stage aren’t they let’s not be silly.
Shogun

Escla wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 3:21 pm Cracks me up this young lad just coming through bit.
He's older then... :whistle: But that's exactly what I'm saying. People treat Onana like he's been playing for years and should be dominating matches whilst Garner is treated with kids' gloves. This place is the only place on the internet that gives Garner any real criticism.
Escla

Shogun wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:21 pm He's older then... :whistle: But that's exactly what I'm saying. People treat Onana like he's been playing for years and should be dominating matches whilst Garner is treated with kids' gloves. This place is the only place on the internet that gives Garner any real criticism.
I say they are the same age, same stage of development and both receive the same level of criticism.
Shogun

Escla wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:25 pm I say they are the same age, same stage of development and both receive the same level of criticism.
Not a chance but okay.
UnsyisaRhino

Shogun wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:21 pm He's older then... :whistle: But that's exactly what I'm saying. People treat Onana like he's been playing for years and should be dominating matches whilst Garner is treated with kids' gloves. This place is the only place on the internet that gives Garner any real criticism.
I have seen garner get criticised on almost every platform, but there's definitely a different flavour to that criticism.
brap2

Escla wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:10 pmThe same stage
Which isss
brap2

Think people were fed up with him, dyche's comments on him 'saying he was not ok to play' and the pen was probably the nail in the coffin
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic