David Moyes

This is the new NSNO Everton forum to discuss the Mighty Blues
AjaxAndy

Re: David Moyes

Bluedylan1 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:38 am Pretty good. Whatever we do we're probably not going to be all that far from the relegation zone. Just be pleased to know Dyche is no longer here, and that we have a comfortably better manager.

And it's not rose tinted glasses either.

Pretty sure Moyes has just won West Ham a European trophy, and led them to multiple European seasons in a row, finishing 6th, 7th, 14th and 8th with them, which is basically as high as any manager could ever get West Ham in the league. Obviously we couldn't remotely expect to finish in European positions anytime in the near future, but the reason I point that out is that he is a manager who is still performing and achieving, and the positive view of him is not based on romantic visions of the past.
As @NickNack says though we're more akin to the Sunderland he took over rather than West Ham.

I really don't think he'd have us on more points than Dyche with this team / next year's abomination of a squad. Personally I'd rip it up and find a young manager that has shown something in the championship or likewise that will be here long term, because we're probably going down next year regardless (if we even survive this year).
74Blue

AjaxAndy wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:57 am For all those wanting Moyes back, how would you feel if we were hovering around the relegation zone all season playing drab percentage football?

I think people are looking at things through nostalgia tinted spectacles, because as the season unfolded I'm fairly sure many wanting him back would have the same feelings as they have towards Dyche right now.
We've already accepted that we're shite. The difference between Moyes and Dyche is that Moyes is a pragmatist, Dyche is a dinosaur. If nothing else, under Moyes, it always felt like there was a Plan B. Right now, I'm struggling to even see Dyche's Plan A.

The football that we're witnessing right now is not even turgid. It's far, far worse than that. It's fucking painful.

I'm not for one second suggesting that bringing Moyes back would suddenly turn us into a super entertaining side, challenging the top six. What I am saying though, is that we know exactly what we would be getting, a pragmatist who is capable of coming in and at least steadying the ship.

The financial situation that we find ourselves in may well see us relegated. If we're going down, can we not at least go down fighting. Watching this absolute fucking dirge, with zero creativity, looking defeated before the game has even kicked off suggests that the players have already downed tools. If I were a betting man, I'd wager that there was a lot more to the little slap around the head that took place in Portugal than we're being told. I would suggest that there has been a massive falling out and the players do not want to play for Dyche. There's just nothing there at all. The players don't even look like they're arsed anymore.
AjaxAndy

74Blue wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:53 pm We've already accepted that we're shite. The difference between Moyes and Dyche is that Moyes is a pragmatist, Dyche is a dinosaur. If nothing else, under Moyes, it always felt like there was a Plan B. Right now, I'm struggling to even see Dyche's Plan A.

The football that we're witnessing right now is not even turgid. It's far, far worse than that. It's fucking painful.

I'm not for one second suggesting that bringing Moyes back would suddenly turn us into a super entertaining side, challenging the top six. What I am saying though, is that we know exactly what we would be getting, a pragmatist who is capable of coming in and at least steadying the ship.

The financial situation that we find ourselves in may well see us relegated. If we're going down, can we not at least go down fighting. Watching this absolute fucking dirge, with zero creativity, looking defeated before the game has even kicked off suggests that the players have already downed tools. If I were a betting man, I'd wager that there was a lot more to the little slap around the head that took place in Portugal than we're being told. I would suggest that there has been a massive falling out and the players do not want to play for Dyche. There's just nothing there at all. The players don't even look like they're arsed anymore.
I'm not sure Sunderland fans would share your sentiments and
we're basically where they were when he took over.

I think Moyes is as much a roll of the dice as anyone and we could easily see us every bit as ineffective with his tactics as Dyche tbh.
Cods

Bluedylan1 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:00 am He had agreed to take the job when we did a last minute u-turn and appointed Ancelotti.

As elite as Carlo obviously is, you'd have to think we'd probably be in a much more stable place now if we'd just got Moyes then.

I think it's a perfectly reasonable, attainable suggestion if he leaves West Ham.
Yeah I know, not only do I remember, but I also agree. However I just never thought we'd have moved back full circle to Moyes as a palatable target now, when his shine has probably worn off even more since we as fans perished and ridiculed the thought the last few times around. I've always thought Bill lucked onto a very good manager. But the level of disown when ManU came knocking was real, and continued for years.

We thought we were heading upwards with momentum, to meet our motto, little did we know our inertia was pointing in the other direction, and fast.

I mean, I can't really disagree with Moshiri's overall goal of attempting to achieve quick results, trying to engender success into the club with sprinkling of star managers and players, new stadium etc, and that it needed to be quick to afford what we were building, but the planning and execution was just so poor, often mistimed, and the deceleration and plateauing of the club then became downwards acceleration, as a perfect storm brewed, and even things beyond the clubs control started to impact us. It'd be a sad story even if it was someone else's club.

Anyway, I'd certainly take Moyes if Dyche (and Thelwell, not sure how that'd work) left, but see it as a risk and expensive to boot Dyche out now, and I wouldn't expect a honeymoon period to last longer than a few days either with this squad.
Deano Blue Boy

With Moyes you knew after a big defeat we'd come back
Silas

Deano Blue Boy wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:24 am With Moyes you knew after a big defeat we'd come back
We also knew big defeats were kind of inevitable under him. He was a good judge of talent and a decent tactician but I don't think he was much more adaptable than Dyche. He's not particularly shown himself to be a great man manager of late which you need with a poor team as much as anything else.

We could appoint worse but fans would turn on him with a bad run almost as quickly as Benitez
AjaxAndy

Silas wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:50 am We also knew big defeats were kind of inevitable under him. He was a good judge of talent and a decent tactician but I don't think he was much more adaptable than Dyche. He's not particularly shown himself to be a great man manager of late which you need with a poor team as much as anything else.

We could appoint worse but fans would turn on him with a bad run almost as quickly as Benitez
Exactly what I was trying to say mate, as soon as things went inevitably shit, as they would because we have a very bad team people would be every bit as negative as they are about Dyche now.

You know what you're getting with Moyes is the thinking I believe, but I'm sure Sunderland thought the same thing and he had an absolute horror show there. Same here and opinion would change quickly and drastically.
Deano Blue Boy

Silas wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:50 am We also knew big defeats were kind of inevitable under him. He was a good judge of talent and a decent tactician but I don't think he was much more adaptable than Dyche. He's not particularly shown himself to be a great man manager of late which you need with a poor team as much as anything else.

I guess you're right with your last sentence
Shogun

I actually think Moyes would get a lot of leeway with our fans, far more than any of our recent managers.
Evertonian in NC

Nobody will ever get less leeway than Benitez, and rightly so. An absolute mortal sin of an appointment, unforgivable.
Kerryblueboy

Evertonian in NC wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:38 pm Nobody will ever get less leeway than Benitez, and rightly so. An absolute mortal sin of an appointment, unforgivable.
Celta Vigo flying since they sacked the prick
eyesalwaysblue

Moyes back when the clueless Moshiri came in would have been better or at the latest when Carlo came in, he was available , if only we knew Carlo was just passing time.
MayorFarnham

I can't see any manager getting much leeway. The state of the whole club means he will be thrown into a relegation battle so there will be pressure to get results with a poor squad. If 777 take over any new manager will br seen as their man and I don't think 777 will be coming in on a wave of optimism.
Shogun

I think our fans understand the position of the club and accept the need to be stable on the pitch by any means possible. They're quite happy to accept Dyche so long as he's not absolutely awful.

We've been horrible at Goodison all season, we've won one match in 4 months and the football is not at all pretty. Yet there's no rumblings from the crowd about him going, nobody is chanting for him to be sacked, nobody is coming with the Dyche Out banners and nobody is spray painting any stadium walls.

The vast majority of the Dyche Out discourse is online and even that's only because of just how bad the last four months have been. Expectations are incredibly low and it shows how poor a job he's doing at the moment that it's even got to this point.
Gary1878

Shogun wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:04 pm I think our fans understand the position of the club and accept the need to be stable on the pitch by any means possible. They're quite happy to accept Dyche so long as he's not absolutely awful.

We've been horrible at Goodison all season, we've won one match in 4 months and the football is not at all pretty. Yet there's no rumblings from the crowd about him going, nobody is chanting for him to be sacked, nobody is coming with the Dyche Out banners and nobody is spray painting any stadium walls.

The vast majority of the Dyche Out discourse is online and even that's only because of just how bad the last four months have been. Expectations are incredibly low and it shows how poor a job he's doing at the moment that it's even got to this point.
I think it only got to that point because of the completely unacceptable performance against Chelsea. Otherwise we would have been content to trundle on until the end of the season despite the poor football.

The Chelsea result clearly wasn’t all Dyche’s fault as the players seemed to down tools at 1-0 which is something that should absolutely never happen.

However, the tactics were bizarre alongside his love affair with picking Ashley Young despite the fact that he has nothing to offer.

I do feel a little sorry for him in some respects but he hasn’t helped himself in the slightest.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic