Dyche

This is the new NSNO Everton forum to discuss the Mighty Blues
weimaranerblues

Re: Dyche

Gash wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:46 pm Thelwell will be doing the buying, assuming we'll have any money to spend.
Yes players to suit DycheBall
777Kidnappings

We'd be 12th without the points deduction. Do people think that's not good enough? We were awful last night and probably still should have won on the chances
NickNack

We were beyond terrible last night but in 12th place with no points deduction I think it would have been a very different performance, different atmosphere, everything.

I don’t think the pressure of being in the bottom 3 can be underestimated and that goes through to team selection, tactics & player performance.

That said only Dyche and the players can sort it and they need to start doing it soon or we’re right in the shit even without more points deductions.
Evertonian in NC

I don't like the pure arithemtic "we should be 12th" stuff. Nobody seriously doubts we got an immediate lift in the aftermath (4 game run). We might still be 12th, we might be lower.

But where we are is our reality, and it doesn't do any good to live in an "alternative facts" universe. It's also without question that the bottom of the Table is historically awful, and this is the most advantageous season we will ever get to "take our medicine."

We should be playing as if we might get an additional deduction, as is likely (or at least, very plausible). That is...playing to win at home to Palace B.

Though I'm not saying Dyche should be sacked, I would keep him even if we go down (I just don't want him re-shaping the squad/spending money). More of a general point.
Kerryblueboy

777Kidnappings wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:02 pm We'd be 12th without the points deduction. Do people think that's not good enough? We were awful last night and probably still should have won on the chances
What’s the deduction got to do with the way we played last night it’s like the Benitez only had 1.7 million to spend he picked the wrong team and didn’t change it till we went behind
777Kidnappings

Evertonian in NC wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:29 pm I don't like the pure arithemtic "we should be 12th" stuff. Nobody seriously doubts we got an immediate lift in the aftermath (4 game run). We might still be 12th, we might be lower.

But where we are is our reality, and it doesn't do any good to live in an "alternative facts" universe. It's also without question that the bottom of the Table is historically awful, and this is the most advantageous season we will ever get to "take our medicine."

We should be playing as if we might get an additional deduction, as is likely (or at least, very plausible). That is...playing to win at home to Palace B.

Though I'm not saying Dyche should be sacked, I would keep him even if we go down (I just don't want him re-shaping the squad/spending money). More of a general point.
The reality is this team has won 30 points. If we lose points off the field that doesn't change what has or hasn't been achieved on it.

In terms of playing to win I'm not sure what that looks like with this squad if its not percentage football. Our biggest goal threat is a midfielder who's all about winning second balls and isn't overly good at anything else. We have wingers with no pace. This is the most productive way we can play and while no one enjoyed last night it felt like we edged it on chances as we seem to often do

I don't know what different way people think this squad can play.
777Kidnappings

Kerryblueboy wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:40 pm What’s the deduction got to do with the way we played last night it’s like the Benitez only had 1.7 million to spend he picked the wrong team and didn’t change it till we went behind
The deduction has got nothing to do with how we played last night. Not sure I ever suggested otherwise

Really don't want to get back on to benitez but when you get 3 players for 1.7m it does become a bit silly moaning cos 1 of them is really crap and the other 2 aren't great
AjaxAndy

The deduction does have something to do with now we played last night.

Firstly we snatch at every chance because the situation is dire, and if we were in 12th you wouldn't see such panicky finishing imo.

The crowd were shitting it from the first minute it seemed and gave the team no atmosphere because of the desperate situation (no judgement in the fans, completely understandable).

I'd imagine the uncertainty around the squad is distracting and moral is low compared to if we were 12th. Thus affecting performance.

Obviously the players need to give something the fans can cheer, and that wasn't the case because we looked lethargic, we wasted good chances (fucking Garner), and the game plan was horrible.

But to say the points deduction doesn't relate to performance is waaaaay too simplistic. It affects literally everything.
Toddacelli

Starting to dislike his pressers
Cods

AjaxAndy wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:25 pm
Firstly we snatch at every chance because the situation is dire.

The crowd were shitting it from the first minute it seemed and gave the team no atmosphere because of the desperate situation (no judgement in the fans, completely understandable).
Inextricably linked.

And I'm not sure sections of the crowd should get a free pass for having no filter, given the atmosphere created. The moaners are in no way helpful, quite the opposite.

The players must be thinking the only thing worse than stuffing something up must be X thousand on your back about it.

It's not going to promote taking risks or confidence which is what we all want to see.
Paddockoldie

Of course the atmosphere affected the game and how we played against Palace. Our ground is renowned for its bear pit atmosphere, and whether it's on the visiting side or us the crowd/atmosphere doesn't change that. Garner suggested it in that article. The fear of missing, being responsible for a failed pass was all there, which may explain why we kept passing it about at the back, or sideways. They know it's hard, they know it's a fight for survival, so why wouldn't they react to that? We've often commented how we lack fighters and leaders yet seem baffled when he buckle under pressure.
Shogun

Maybe we should stop signing cowards who aren't up for it.
CannockPricey

Kerryblueboy wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:40 pm What’s the deduction got to do with the way we played last night it’s like the Benitez only had 1.7 million to spend he picked the wrong team and didn’t change it till we went behind
The general point here is right. It was an awful performance (I'd driven a couple of hours to get there and longer on the way back due to motorway diversions as well). It was also a game we should have won and in fairness, while it should have been even earlier I'd agree, he did bring Harrison and Onana on at 0-0. Ayew scored about thirty seconds after the double sub.
In a world full of adversity, we must still dare to dream.
Kerryblueboy

I’m no fan of Michael ball and his piece in the echo but he has got it spot on this week even goes as far as saying the first half was like Wimbledon from the 90s
TheRam

Wouldn’t even rank in top 50 worst performances in the premier league for us.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic