James Garner

This is the new NSNO Everton forum to discuss the Mighty Blues
brap2

Re: James Garner

This guy drives me fucking bats
AjaxAndy

For a guy who can deliver a good dead ball, he sure as fuck can't do much with a live one 😡
Cereal Killer

On the brink of an England call-up :lol:
TheRam

I think there’s a really good right back in garner.

If he wants to be a centre mid at this level he has to do a lot more with the ball.

Just simple things like take the touch, move it forward and get into space seems so difficult for him.

Why do we always seem to have midfielders like this?

He has energy to burn, he’s good defensively, can whip a decent ball in. Get him right back.
Kerryblueboy

Linked with spurs Sunday England call up rumoured today are we all missing something
AjaxAndy

Kerryblueboy wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:23 am Linked with spurs Sunday England call up rumoured today are we all missing something
I haven't seen any stats, but I bet any money his defensive stats are pretty great.

It's just he can't seem to do anything beyond that other than cross in good set pieces.

It makes it extra frustrating that he's clearly got a great right foot for corners, but doesn't have the vision to use that technique to play progressive passes, or shoot with any conviction when presented with a very decent opportunity.

He's very good at one aspect of the game, so I think that's where the hype comes from, but if you actually watch a full game of ours you see how badly limited he actually is.
brap2

Fuck off you cheeky backwards merchant
Shogun

Kopite
Gary1878

He has the ability to do more but he just isn’t. It doesn’t really seem tactical as I am sure Dyche would want him playing more progressively forward when he is on the ball.

Given the above, I think you have to have him sitting in front of the back 4, and allow the another CM to move further forward. That really would mean selling Onana and buying 1 or 2 players in CM in a creative role, as he would bring in funds and he isn’t the creative type either.

Then you would have Gana and Garner sitting with 2 additions.

The balance at the moment in CM isn’t quite right. I wouldn’t want to sell Onana but for us to move upwards as a squad and a club, it seems the most logical move.
Bluedylan1

Not into anything about this lad. I'm hoping Frank Lampard gets a job somewhere and buys him off us.
brap2

Gary1878 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:20 pm He has the ability to do more but he just isn’t. It doesn’t really seem tactical as I am sure Dyche would want him playing more progressively forward when he is on the ball.

Given the above, I think you have to have him sitting in front of the back 4, and allow the another CM to move further forward. That really would mean selling Onana and buying 1 or 2 players in CM in a creative role, as he would bring in funds and he isn’t the creative type either.

Then you would have Gana and Garner sitting with 2 additions.

The balance at the moment in CM isn’t quite right. I wouldn’t want to sell Onana but for us to move upwards as a squad and a club, it seems the most logical move.

Don't see it. He can't pass, he can't drive with the ball, he can't dictate play. He can not lose the ball, he can run around and he can tackle. OK fine. Useful. But Gana does all that and he's twice the player. His function should be backup, not rearranging the square to fit a championship midfielder.
Silas

Putting it out there. Gomes offers more
Cantoffee

I just don't see another level for him. He looks like a good championship/bad premier league player.

He can't pick up the ball off the back 4 and turn upfield. It's all playing the ball back to the CBs or out to the fullbacks.

It's a key difference that Onana brings, along with the ability to carry the ball upfield.

I dont expect Garner to have that in his locker because I think he physically would struggle to do it against most CMs. But he does need to be able to take the ball and turn upfield with his head up to play the ball into the feet of the striker and force the defence to shift a bit.

Loads of energy, decent in the tackle, reasonable pressing, ok technically (not convinced he should be a set piece takers but oh well).

I don't see him being a RB, doesn't have the pace for it.

He's young but I haven't seen enough of him wanting the ball, dictating play, turning upfield. All things that were evident as soon as Onana came on - demands the ball, always wants it no matter who has the ball he's trying to get in a position to receive it. Nothing stopping Garner from doing that.
Shogun

It's mad that this is the only place that seems to rate him so lowly. I am part of not rating him like but Evertonians seem to love him.
Bluenose91

Shogun wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:46 pm It's and that this is the only place that seems to rate him so lowly. I am part of it like but Evertonians seem to love him.
I think it's other fans views of him that do my head in more than Garner himself sometimes.

I can remember arguing on twitter last season people were saying he was better than Iwobi and now this season its that he's better than Onana.

Feel like I'm going absolutely insane when I see stuff like that.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic