Amadou Onana

This is the new NSNO Everton forum to discuss the Mighty Blues
TheRam

Re: Amadou Onana

Not a fan.

He’s obviously a very good player but he seems more interested in himself than the team.

He’ll have a career like lukakus.

Will never really settle anywhere because he’ll always think he can do better.

I look at someone like Declan rice in his position and think he could be that player, but will never get there.
AjaxAndy

Toddacelli wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:32 pm I miss those cool tackles he did when he first arrived. Had a good sense of when to do it and great timing so I don’t know why he stopped unless the manager said he doesn’t want to see him going to ground?
Always thought those looked like the prefect recipe to damage ankle ligaments... Never a good idea to slide tackle like that, wouldn't be surprised if Dyche has told him to stop doing them or risk serious injury.
Brownie

TheRam wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:17 pm Not a fan.

He’s obviously a very good player but he seems more interested in himself than the team.

He’ll have a career like lukakus.

Will never really settle anywhere because he’ll always think he can do better.

I look at someone like Declan rice in his position and think he could be that player, but will never get there.
I’d happily sell and reinvest in someone like Reid from Fulham
cassius

We signed a player who we knew we'd flip after a few seasons for profit, so I'm not going to get pissy because he thinks he's better than us.

He's ambitious and we need to lean into that.

He'll move on, we'll make money and then hopefully we'll repeat the process. We need to get used to this.
kramer

Yeah. Can’t have a whole squad of these but it’s wise for our financial health to have a few talented, ambitious players who we can use for a few seasons and flip for an easy profit.

It’s mutually beneficial. The players secure the big move they want, we get a few seasons of them and some money to reinvest on the back end.
brap2

Well you can all enjoy Brownhill and Garner together soon. Suppose we don't need a midfield if we're just whacking it over em.
kramer

brap2 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:47 pm Well you can all enjoy Brownhill and Garner together soon.
As long as we’re still creating better chances than we concede, I probably will.
Cods

brap2 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:47 pm Well you can all enjoy Brownhill and Garner together soon. Suppose we don't need a midfield if we're just whacking it over em.
I guess the comparison largely and probably cruedly boils down to whether the preference is a (relatively) limited player working to the extent of their capabilities or an obviously highly talented one not working to the extent of theirs?
Eg. Does 95% x Garner = 75% x Onana

And then consistently.

I think it's pretty obvious we'd all prefer players of higher quality, provided they use their qualities and the team benefits overall. Onana shades it for me, as you need a mix, and when he's good he's very good, but probably doesn't show it enough yet with any consistency. He can't be counted on regularly to the extent that others can. His first appearance cameo was a snapshot of his time with us so far, but he's certainly improving.

We were able to buy Onana (at high risk, and we'd had a few expensive flops already), because there were doubts and unknowns about him, otherwise we wouldn't have been in the running. Garner on the other hand was a much cheaper and largely risk free known alternative, they're not directly comparable.

Not sure we'll soon be able to out-City a City with our squad of average technical, but very fit players. But we're also not long ball merchants. We now compete to suit our strongest attributes, that make up our own competitive advantage. We now know we've got the energy, breaking speed and belief, along with some solid tactical awareness and structures in us to compete with anyone, including the best team in the world.
howard1334

I really like Onana. He does care. And he is talented. I get annoyed with him at times. But I'd rather have him than anyone else in our midfield.
Audrey Horne

brap2 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:47 pm Well you can all enjoy Brownhill and Garner together soon. Suppose we don't need a midfield if we're just whacking it over em.
Dont go all Thomas, never go full Thomas...
wepull

Good player, can be erratic at times but he's quite young and it's a difficult position to dominate day in and day out.
TheRam

Why are you always like this when a player you’re a fan of isnt loved by others.
TheRam

Brownie wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:32 pm I’d happily sell and reinvest in someone like Reid from Fulham
Boss little player but would maybe like a younger version.

Onana’s output should be relatively easy to replace.

We did miss him when he was out like as he does offer control in that area but there’s players out there that will suit our system a lot better for a fraction of the price.
Brownie

TheRam wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:04 am Boss little player but would maybe like a younger version.

Onana’s output should be relatively easy to replace.

We did miss him when he was out like as he does offer control in that area but there’s players out there that will suit our system a lot better for a fraction of the price.
Yeah, I just don’t know enough other players like Reid but that type of player.

Maybe it is the system we play that doesn’t suit him but the other night it was like the lad had never played football before. Passes going astray, not dominating in the air or on the ground - I don’t blame him for the pen, thought that was a harsh call. I just expect more from him
brap2

TheRam wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:02 am Why are you always like this when a player you’re a fan of isnt loved by others.
It's my love language.

Nah I understand, and I apologise, I know that was an annoying comment and not my first.

BUT the guy is a 21 year old 6 foot godknowswhat space eater with the highest duel success rate in the league, in the 95th percentile for headed duals, best pass completion in our side bar none, plays in a position that is currently going through a boom in terms of prices commanded by players, wanted by, if you believe the rumours, Barcelona, Arsenal, United...and across here and twitter we've fans who are happy to see the back of him because he looks a bit too relaxed.

I vent that frustration here at times and I hope I'm usually on the jokey side but accept that above was much more annoying than it was jokey. I crossed the Thomas threshold as auds rightly pointed out, nobody likes that.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic