Manager Merry-Go-Round

Chat about football that isn't Everton in here
CannockPricey

Re: Manager Merry-Go-Round

I had Iraiola as the first manager to be sacked this season. Absolutely miles off with that. He has an absolutely abysmal start but without that they would be challenging for Europe. He has amazed me. Bmouth will do well to keep him
Shogun

One of the more mental sackings this season

TheRam

Shogun wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 1:06 pm One of the more mental sackings this season

It is harsh, but they have a really good squad for that level so the job he’s done is a bit overrated.
Toffee1

Shogun

I just can't get over Southgate being favourite for the Man United job.

I'd be absolutely devastated if he became our manager and we're crap
CannockPricey

In general, international management is terrible preparation for a club job. No day to day management, no contracts to worry about, no budgetary pressures, a plethora of massively inferior sides to play.

Add on to that he's Gareth Southgate and the only thing you could say is the last 2/3 years have lowered United's bar so severely he wouldn't have to be very good to be a relative success. If he somehow conjured a distant 4th Villa-style this year, that would be praised to the heavens and no Utd manager post Ferguson has inherited that lack of expectation. He'd get away with 5th/6th as well if he made them look fairly competent.
Cantoffee

Canada has hired Jesse Marsch.

Honestly not the worst appointment, he's cringe but no more than John Herdman. Although Herdma seemed to motivate the team and Marsch is not that kind of manager.

He'll be better tactically than Herdman, and we somewhat have the squad to press. Although our centerbacks being high up the pitch will lead to some bad bad days.
TheRam

I think Southgate could be a good appointment for United if it happens.
MIG

Yeah I still don’t get the hate for Southgate.
cassius

It looks like Ratcliffe is setting up United so that Ashworth/someone else will be looking after a lot of the day to day.

And I can see them thinking Southgate brought harmony to England, maybe he can do that to the United dressing room.

But as a manager of a team on a football pitch, I don't think he's good enough.
Audrey Horne

United fans won't want to watch the defensive set up.

He is OK like but too cautious. Drives me mad.
Shogun

Hasn't managed a football club in 15 years and that was where he had a 29% win record in his three years at Middlesbrough ending in relegation.

The more I see and hear of Ratcliffe, the more I'm convinced Man United aren't going to get any better. He's clearly a very old school thinker. Southgate should be nowhere near a top job in club football.
Bluedylan1

There's not really an outstanding list of obvious candidates for the Man U job available. Who could they get that would be guaranteed to significantly improve them? It's a tough one.

Thomas Frank has been mentioned, but that's a big jump for him and a risk. Could you throw everything at Emery and see if you could tempt him away from Villa? Possibly not at the moment. De Zerbi also feels a bit of a risk at this point. Maybe look to Serie A and look at Motta or Inzaghi, but they're both big risks and you might not even get them.

I don't massively rate Southgate, but I could imagine him doing a solid job there and getting them around Top 4 for a couple of season while they wait for a better candidate to become available.
TheRam

Find is strange how inzaghi isn’t linked to any of the top jobs.

Done a great job at inter.
Toffee1

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic